Blaser, love them or hate them?

Very innocently I have two Blasers ;
A R93 .223 Rem and a .270 Win. and for what its worth..............I really like them, I hit what I'm aiming at !

John.

It's Sunday night gents you should be full of roast dinner and alcohol !

be nice to each other ?

Gaz that is not a question you have to ask, you have a good idea how much already. :lol:

ATB

Tahr

Ah yes, i have had a barrel fitted by a top smith, but i didnt go for tuftriding or fluting, just plain old lothar wather factory standard, didnt even go for bead blasting, blood just wipes off. I call it my "less is more" rifle, i wanted to pay less, he insisted on more! Shoots though, better than them old plastic clatterboxes i used to champion...

I’m willing to bet that Roedinator has been waiting for me to post something disparaging about Blaser rifles as after all I tease him constantly about his Blaser and try to get a little dig in at every opportunity. :D
In actual fact I think that they are actually quite good and very well made, they certainly shoot well. I am however a bit of a dinosaur :oops: and can’t accept that the lock up relies upon a multitude of relatively small and apparently flimsy components and not upon empirical engineering such as more traditional designs which I feel much happier with such a 1898 Mauser or it’s more modern derivatives. For my peace of mind I will stick to old fashioned guns for the time being but if the Blaser system is still around in the next hundred years perhaps I will give it a try:old: after all I have been wrong once before. It was when Glock pistols were being exhibited for the first time in this country, late 70s early 80s. I examined one of these new plastic pistols that had only a few steel rails fitted into the polymer frame and said to my friends and the salesman “ uh, you’ll never sell any of those”. How many Glock pistols have been made and sold since then?:oops::doh:

What would worry me is if Remington with their wide engineering tolerances and poor quality control started making rifles of similar design. Blaser achieve the results that they do because of good engineering and good quality control.

As said many times I had an enjoyable day testing two Blaser R93's before then became the fad "must have thing" both were in .308 of course this was back in the 1990's and probably about 1995/6. The fancy one we were playing with had a ticket price back then of just shy of Four Grand. The chap had also brought a long a very nice Chapuis SxS in 8x57R and that is the one I wanted to own however at this time I was just going through a redundancy so spending about Three grand on a rifle was not possible.

Although I had a pleasant time shooting those R93's they did not impress me enough for me to buy one at a later date. I still feel they are way over priced. Those I know well whom have owned Blaser's none of them still do and I cannot get away from the feeling that there must be a reason behind this.

Funny thing is my old school time best friend works in a good gun shop so has a choice and he also never owned a Baser.

I totally agree with Cseskynut. My brother and I have both used and abused 2 R93's and now 2 R8's. In some of the worst conditions Australia has too offer. Dust , rain, and hard knocks. I once dropped my old 93 on a granite boulder that totally smashed my scope. It did not affect the Blaser in any way. I have a safe full of some very fine rifles that are lovely to look at. But whats the point. If I want to hunt I always trust my Blaser. 223, 7x64, and a 9.3. Sorted.

Back