6.5x55 and Varget

TotalNovice

Hi,

I have two tubs of Varget that I wont be using with my .243ai anymore.

I wanted to know if anyone has used or does use Varget with 6.5x55 loads?

Thanks
TotalNovice

TN, There are published loads for the 6.5x55 with Varget, and when I first started reloading for my Swede I did try some. I was kindly given some to try and found that it worked quite, but not very, well in my rifle. All three of my Swedes have preferred N160, although I have seen excellent results using Varget behind Nosler 120 BT's in someone elses rifle. Give it a go and try some of the published loads.

​Simon

I have just loaded some up as managed to get 8lb tub of Varget. Am doing some load development tomorrow with 120gn barnes ttsx. Powders are RL22, N160 and Varget.

I'll post separately tomorrow to let you know how i got on.

Andy

Hi,

I have two tubs of Varget that I wont be using with my .243ai anymore.

I wanted to know if anyone has used or does use Varget with 6.5x55 loads?

Thanks
TotalNovice

I use varget with 100gr siera soft point for roe,120gr nosler bt not so good.Ialso use it for 7-08 and 22.250.39.5gr with the 100gr this is not a top load but start load is about 36gr good luck Dave

I have just looked through my reloading notes and I had to slightly exceed the Lee book load to tighten my groups with 120g BT's using Varget. I had no pressure signs, but the groups I got were bettered by N-160. Varget worked best on some 100 varmint loads I had, better than any other powder I tried.

But I soon got sick of having to load different rounds for different species and started to load just one round for everything. First I settled on 129gr Hornady SST's, but after some problems (blow ups and penciling) with the bullets I moved to the Nosler BT in 120gr. These have worked well on everything from large fallow bucks to muntjac, even foxes don't complain.

However, there are some people I shoot with occassionally who do not like plastic tipped bullets and in deference to them I have bought some Nosler Partitions to try. I have them in both 125gr in .264" (for the sako 6.5x55) and 140g in 7mm (for the Heym 7x57).

​Simon

However, there are some people I shoot with occassionally who do not like plastic tipped bullets and in deference to them I have bought some Nosler Partitions to try. I have them in both 125gr in .264" (for the sako 6.5x55) and 140g in 7mm (for the Heym 7x57).

​Simon

Let me know how you like these. I found five dusty boxes of these -very old stock- on the shelf of the trading post a couple of months ago and brought them home. Haven't had the inclination to load them yet.~Muir

Let me know how you like these. I found five dusty boxes of these -very old stock- on the shelf of the trading post a couple of months ago and brought them home. Haven't had the inclination to load them yet.~Muir

Muir,

They were cheap weren't they? Weren't they? You're just doing it again to wind me up ;)

But yes, I will let you know how I get on.

​Simon

I use 33 grains of. Varget with 156 lapua mega. Not fast but shoots .5 MOA in Simon's old Blaser and kills pretty much anything. My Sauer is not convinced!

Muir,

They were cheap weren't they? Weren't they? You're just doing it again to wind me up ;)

But yes, I will let you know how I get on.

​Simon

Yes. They were cheap. Really cheap. Actually, IIRC, really, REALLY cheap. I mean, damn near free. In fact, they actually offered to pay me to take those dusty boxes out of the shop but I refused. That wouldn't have been right, right? So I paid them a little. Not too much, though. Not too much. Enough to send out for coffee and donuts at least. Besides, I had a deal pending on 2000 Sierra Game King .284's for $12/100 and couldn't go too crazy at the Trading Post.

Gotta spread the wealth, right?~Muir

Yes. They were cheap. Really cheap. Actually, IIRC, really, REALLY cheap. I mean, damn near free. In fact, they actually offered to pay me to take those dusty boxes out of the shop but I refused. That wouldn't have been right, right? So I paid them a little. Not too much, though. Not too much. Enough to send out for coffee and donuts at least. Besides, I had a deal pending on 2000 Sierra Game King .284's for $12/100 and couldn't go too crazy at the Trading Post. Gotta spread the wealth, right?~Muir

Git! :rofl:

Simon

Back