Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range finder recommendations please?

Range finder recommendations please?

Looking for a range finder, not looking to spend a fortune but in the same light i don't want to skimp and end up stuck with something that won't do the job.

What do you all recommend?

Redfield raider 600a it's good out to 600 + yards

I have a Leica LRF 800 and whilst a bit 'boxy' these days it has provided faultless service.

Newer generation gear is much more compact but I just dont have the cash spare to indulge. However, I client earlier this year turned up with a very neat compact unit. A little strangely it sported a leather 'sleeve'. On closer look it was a new generation Leica.

I'm not sure the current RRP on the Leica hunting models, but this unit was the Pin Master - designed for golfers. Hence the leather cover - it was a dimpled effect white. BUT - he'd got it from n Internet Golf Shop in Germany - posted to the UK for something significantly South of the 200 mark all in.
    Stalking and Courses
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at Kelso, Scone & Moy 2016

I use a Leupold RX-600. All the features you need, none that you don't. Simple, not expensive and compact.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    I use a Leupold RX-600. All the features you need, none that you don't. Simple, not expensive and compact.

Leica all the way got one it works flawlessly, you shouldnt need thousands of yards for normal shooting, more expensive of course

Thanks for the feedback so far. I've used a Leupold range finder and liked it very much, but this was several years ago now, and knowing how technology moves on i wanted to see if there had been any huge improvements before i part with my hard earned.

Nr Newport (shrops)
    i bought a swarovski 8x30 range finder its was not cheap but it is superb, i dont use binos now because the optics are good enough to use it for spotting as well

I have a Zeiss 8x26PRF, optics are brilliant and as it has a full size eyepiece it can be used for spotting, previously I had Bushnells which were ok, but I did have to ping a target a few times as the laser had a broad beam, I think Leica have the narrowest beam so have a good reputation but the Zeiss are Swaro like 223 above says can be used instead of binos

I've had the Leica 800 boxy job then the Swarovski 8x30 then the Leicester compact 1200 and they are all excellent.

​moved on to the Swarovski 8x42 RF binos and they are superb.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.