Not getting what you were expecting?

sws

As someone who does some overseas hunting (as a guest thus far) I'm intrigued/appalled by the Finnish write ups. I buy some sport in the UK but know the people I buy from.

If you go on a trip such as this, organised by an overseas agent what recourse do you have if it is not as advertised?

I know in the UK you would speak to trading standards (regarding false/exaggerated advertising) but what do you do overseas? I'm not talking about if you dont get the beast, as this is stalking, but if the whole package has been oversold.

Is there no requirement for sporting agents to have any form of insurance against this? There's a vast increase in agents/intermediaries and I wonder about the professionalism of a lot of them.

Not necessarily for the stalking aspect but for misrepresenting accommodation etc. I used to work for a firm which sold salmon fishing overseas and they stopped doing that after a trip where things didn't go to plan and trading standards became involved.

Like I said on the finland moose thread, we shoul try and set up a name and shame list or at least outfits that members can reccomend, ultimately I agree something needs to be done about dodgy trading standards far too many honest people have been relieved of their hard earned cash.
As someone who does some overseas hunting (as a guest thus far) I'm intrigued/appalled by the Finnish write ups. I buy some sport in the UK but know the people I buy from.

If you go on a trip such as this, organised by an overseas agent what recourse do you have if it is not as advertised?

I know in the UK you would speak to trading standards (regarding false/exaggerated advertising) but what do you do overseas? I'm not talking about if you dont get the beast, as this is stalking, but if the whole package has been oversold.

Is there no requirement for sporting agents to have any form of insurance against this? There's a vast increase in agents/intermediaries and I wonder about the professionalism of a lot of them.

Totally agree but slander is also in the frame and it would be easier to prove once in print.

depends on how you word it xyz is :thumb: or xyz is: suss no slaggin and just leave it at that , the more :-| he gets then the less trade they get! that then leaves it up to next buyer as its still his choice after all .

Would a points rating system work say 1 to 10 starting from dissapointing , could have been better and so on
depends on how you word it xyz is :thumb: or xyz is: suss no slaggin and just leave it at that , the more :-| he gets then the less trade they get! that then leaves it up to next buyer as its still his choice after all .

I have not had much experience of miss-represented foreign hunts, I've had a few disappointing ones but in each case it has not been the fault of the UK agent.
It has been a case of the UK agent being let down by the contact on the ground and as embarrassing for him as the hunters.
So from what I've read on here of the Moose hunt/search ! the guy this side, that did the organising, is really not at fault unless by some miracle he was treated differently during the hunt and had good food, bedding and shot lots of Moose and kept it quiet !

Guys ,text is only slander if it names and maliciously accuses .Stating proven bad practice and not naming publicly is not slander just take it to pm for details

I say go for it, but in reasonable moderation. There are already plenty of websites dedicated to feedback on hotels etc worldwide, and I know from a few friends who are in the hospitality business that they DO take notice of what is written about them on the web especially.
I do think however that the positives should be shouted about just as much as the negatives. All too often one reads of bad experiences slagging off this company and that, but people can be slow to praise where it is due.

The trouble with a table to be marked as per each individual's perception of a good deal can be very difficult because of each individual's perception of a good deal being different.
Such as 'Fantastic times had on the Stags, shot three and well looked after by the Agent, thoroughly recommend so and so, etc etc' then when asked they say, ' It only cost five grand'
Or, 'so and so did a fantastic job of my barrel threading, only cost £200 and he checked my rifle and cleaned it too'.
Both of those instances are fictitious but some would give them 10 out of 10 whereas I would only mark them a 1 out of 10, so there you have it.

To do nothing after the finland debacle doesnt seem right. Think some sort of feedback collection point would be useful to all sd members. I have been on one misrepresented overseas jolly, and its not pleasant to feel ripped off. Think the moderators and those running the forum might want to input into this idea

I agree but what's to stop multiple new members popping up with great comments all of which could be complet fabrication, in support of X,Y, or Z member, and certainly the old boy network will come into play in support of their own, or they wheel out a few big guns on here who's reputation you daren't question to silence you, the only way is to let people speak freely & it's their responsibility to back it up! However any rules need to apply equally to all, & be applied indiscriminately to ALL irrelevant of who they are. It could end up like EBay otherwise where a guy ficticously sells x number of items o everyone he knows so as to build his rating & appear reputable.

To do nothing after the finland debacle doesnt seem right. Think some sort of feedback collection point would be useful to all sd members. I have been on one misrepresented overseas jolly, and its not pleasant to feel ripped off. Think the moderators and those running the forum might want to input into this idea

The numerous US hunting fora have it spot on...fellas will post either a request for info on a particular outfitter or will post their experience, and by and large any negative comments will be dealt with via PM...we all know how litigious the US can be, so it's pretty safe to say that whilst bad practice and poor service will be flagged, no named individuals will be slagged...just very strong recommendations made not to touch bad outfitters with a barge pole (or American equivalent)

SWS - sporting agents who sell overseas shooting or fishing should be a member of ATOL - that way your holiday is protected in the same way as a package holiday in the sun. I have organised many trips to shoot overseas for clients and remember you must let the agent organise the whole trip if possible because only the sections that they organise are protected.

Visit http://www.roxtons.com/ to see more about ATOL

HT

Agree if US forums can do it why shouldnt we. Any negative feedback can be dealt with via pm or even email. I would certainly look very carefully into overseas hunting trips and do my research. There must be a good example forum where something similar is already in place,
​we need a template that already wworks and dare I say then put forward a proposal to guys in charge

The numerous US hunting fora have it spot on...fellas will post either a request for info on a particular outfitter or will post their experience, and by and large any negative comments will be dealt with via PM...we all know how litigious the US can be, so it's pretty safe to say that whilst bad practice and poor service will be flagged, no named individuals will be slagged...just very strong recommendations made not to touch bad outfitters with a barge pole (or American equivalent)

Back