Thread: Irish setter boots?

Irish setter boots?

Just looking around at some new boots as the ones I've got are letting in water now, just wondered if anyone can give the heads up on these Irish setters, how long they last?, how waterproof?, ect. they seem good value for money,
    any views and feed bk would be great full.
    Cheers all

I have a pair of the elk trackers that I got from America, very comfy and waterproof

Great boots,best I've ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by re'M'ington View Post
    Great boots,best I've ever had.

I bought a pair from cabela's about 5 years ago - a fraction of the cost of le chameu or similar (even with shipping etc added on).
    Warm, dry, comfy.....just the ticket. So good I bought another pair to replace these when they split/broke/whatever. ... (bought in cabela's sale so even cheaper this time!!). Spare pair are still in a box in the loft cos my first pair are still going strong; feet are warm, dry and comfy....
    Big thumbs up from me.
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

Cheers men, that's good enough for me to go and try a pair, theirs a big difference in price from the big name brands. Which ones are the best the "elk which "the scudd" man said about?

I think it depends on the type of ground your shooting on. my last pair were the kangaroo leather upland boots, again very comfy and waterproof. they lasted about 7 years but my only complaint was the sole tread, I found them very slippy on some surfaces

biggest thing with setters is look after them with plenty of mink oil or similer and they will look after you they are the most comfortable boots I have ever owned

I've had two pairs and they're pretty comfortable but they both delaminated (soles to uppers) after about 2 years of hard'ish work.
    Also, they tended to rub up myAchilles tendons a tad...seemed too soft at the rear where the boots flexed.

Personally, I'd not buy another set as my Meindl Dovres are significantly more comfortable and they have already outlasted the setters.

I got the elk trackers too and like them a lot: waterproof, good support, good traction and mainly they come in wide fittings unlike virtually all european boots, I am double E wide.