A big thanks to Rick O`shea.

basil

Distinguished Member
Recently i received an invite from Rick so yesterday i found myself in the wilds of the very scenic Dorset countryside.
I was hoping to shoot my first Fallow or Sika but alas, it wasn`t to be but i was far from disappointed!! I still had a great day out in excellent company. We walked a couple of miles which i must admit, i like the walk and stalk side of the sport. The ground squelched, the mud splashed up from the wellies with every step, still, at least the rain held off.
Rick glassed a group of Fallow in the distance which weren`t hanging around for anyone and a couple of Roe which disappeared through the woods then doubled back on us and soon were gone.
The last hour of light was spent in a high seat, the same one that Moonraker used. Nothing materialised, the wetness seems to have pushed the deer to higher ground.
I met up with Rick back at the gate and we made our way back to the motor.
Rick said he thought that the rain had pushed the deer out, i think he was disappointed that i didn`t shoot anything but as i said i`m far from being down hearted. I still learnt plenty about deer, stalking and we had a good yarn about life in general and that a deerless days stalking is better than a day at work.
What got us both was driving back down the road a small group of Fallow crossed the road in front of us!!
Anyway Rick, thanks for a great day and for yours and your families hospitality. Top man.
basil.

Hi basil

Like yourself ive travelled to meet site members and despite some of the outings drawing a blank still had a great day out in great company..

Friendships made and strengthened we just look forward to the next time :D

ATB

Terry

FALLOW TRIP

Hi basil im sorry i couldnt get you a shot on tuesday but all that rain and fog in the morning didnt do us any favours, mayby we should have swapped our stalking boots and rifle for a canoe and paddle.
The final straw for me was having that nice stag not fifty yards away watch us drive off.
Lets hope things dry out in time for your next visit.
ATB
RICK O SHEA

Re: FALLOW TRIP

RICK O SHEA said:
Hi basil im sorry i couldnt get you a shot on tuesday but all that rain and fog in the morning didnt do us any favours, mayby we should have swapped our stalking boots and rifle for a canoe and paddle.
The final straw for me was having that nice stag not fifty yards away watch us drive off.
Lets hope things dry out in time for your next visit.
ATB
RICK O SHEA
No need for any apologies. If it wasn`t for folk like yourself i would never have had the chance in the first place.
Did you try the zider??
basil.

Basil, glad you enjoyed your day out in Dorset with Rick. He's a good man, and I learnt a lot when I stalked with him last week. Sound's like the zider hit the right the spot!

i think thats the thing i like about the site like minded people
meeting up sharing stalking experiences on different ground
being able to shoot a species you might not have on your own
ground long may it continue
basil were going to have to arrange a south west meet up one
evening if anybody has any ideas for a venue to suit or a date
lets hear them ATB pete .

Pete, I'd been keen to come along if your happy for someone from north of the border to attend! Be good to have a catch up, and to put faces to a few more names.

Back