Tracking Down dads gun??

kickthedug

Hi Folks,

I was wondering if anyone knew how I would go about tracking down my fathers guns? They are not really worth anything money wise but they would be of great sentimental value to my brother and I. They were sold after he died as no-one had a license to hold them. Any suggestions would be helpful I am trying to find out at what auction they were sold at but I don't know how much further I will get. If anyone has any tips I'd love to hear for you.

Cheers Folks and hope you are all having a good season so far!!
Clum........

If it was fairly recent, the records will be held on the National Firearms database. Have a chat with your FLO and explain the circumstances. They may well be able to help or at least give guidance. Good luck.
MS

Data protection Act and common sense would suggest that info is private and so it should be. Criminals couls access nice guns and pop round and steal them? I would be peed off if someone was given my details about anything about firearms.

Well obviously the police won't give out the current owner's details but they might contact him on the OP's behalf...

Do you have a copy of your Dad's certificate or a list of the serial numbers?

Data protection Act and common sense would suggest that info is private and so it should be. Criminals couls access nice guns and pop round and steal them? I would be peed off if someone was given my details about anything about firearms.
Ahh, but what about the 'Freedom of Information Act'? Do they not cancel each other out or something?:confused:
MS

Ahh, but what about the 'Freedom of Information Act'? Do they not cancel each other out or something?:confused:
MS

Not at all.

The Freedom of Information Act gives the public the right to see official information held about themselves by public authorities. But it includes a number of exemptions including, for example, Section 40 which relates to personal information related to another person (e.g. the OP's father or the new owner of the OP's guns).

The Data Protection Act allows a member of the public to see personal information that is held about them by all sorts of organisations, both public and private.

If a public authority receives a request for personal information under the FoI Act regarding a third party that is not deemed "fair", then disclosure could breach the Data Protection Act.

So IMHO whilst under the FoI Act it may be deemed fair to release to the OP the details of the guns which his father owned, it is unlikely to be deemed fair to release the details of the new owner(s). That would breach of the Data Protection Act.

The FoI request might also be exempt under Section 31 (law enforcement) or Section 41 (information provided in confidence).

But bear in mind I am not a lawyer.

willie_gunn

If you have any info on the guns ie. make, model, serial numbers, where & when sold etc. try putting an advert in a couple of shooting mags. Long shot (pardon the punn) but worth a try.
Wingy

If you have any info on the guns ie. make, model, serial numbers, where & when sold etc. try putting an advert in a couple of shooting mags. Long shot (pardon the punn) but worth a try.
Wingy

A very good suggestion indeed chap!!

Thanks very much guys I wouldn't have thought the police would be forthcoming with info. about guns "unless your RSPCA" lol. Nice to get the suggestions though. I am trying to track down his tickets atm but its old paperwork and may have been lost along the way, he died in 1991 so a few years ago. If I get any info. I'll put it up in a mag as you say and give it a try. I will try and let you know if I ever get the satisfaction of getting just one of the old mans guns back!!
Gentlemen thanks for your time it is mucho appreciated!!!
Clum..........

Another idea would be other shooting forums and Facebook as it seems everybody (except me) seems to have an account these days!!

Best of luck in your search.

Back