best .22lr hp amo

shippers

just got an anschutz 1415/16 22lr have had it cut down too 14" and screew cut,wonderd what would be the best hp round to but through it,rather than spend an age and money trying to find the best one.have had a bit of a look around but have not come up with a clearcut answer yet,is there one?

My favorites have always been Eley subs. These have always been the most accurate in my .22rf bolt action rifles and I have tried most brands over the years. However, I recently bought a Theoben AMT semi-auto (stainless clone of a 10/22) and did a fair bit of ammo testing. The Eleys wouldnt cycle at all and CCI's and Winnies were not much better (The CCI's were unacceptably loud even with a moderator but very consistent velocity wise). I had some old RWS subs and these cycled well but were very low velocity with a noticeably lower POI. Then I tried some of the new RWS subs and these were higher velocity, cycled perfectly and I managed a 1/4" 5 shot group at 50yds -not bad for an old semi-auto! Well worth a try!

My chrono results through the AMT were as follows:

Eley Subs 932, 1004, 1015, 994 & 998 = Av 989fps Spread 83fps = 8.4%,

RWS (Old) 1014, 993, 978, 960 & 985 = Av 986fps Spread 54fps = 5.5%

Winnie Subs 1028, 1022, 1041, 1005 & 1030 = Av 1025 Spread 36fps = 3.5%

Eley Pistol Match 1002, 1008, 1001, 1003 & 1030 = Av 1009 Spread 29fps = 2.9%

CCI Subs 1066, 1063, 1057, 1054 & 1069 = Av 1062 Spread 12fps = 1.1%

RWS (New) 1017, 1013, 1018, 1028 & 1020 = Av 1019 Spread 15fps = 1.5%

just got an anschutz 1415/16 22lr have had it cut down too 14" and screew cut,wonderd what would be the best hp round to but through it,rather than spend an age and money trying to find the best one.have had a bit of a look around but have not come up with a clearcut answer yet,is there one?

In a word No!

However the Winchester subs seem to perform quite well in lots of rifles so they must be doing something right down under.

thanks for all the input,i knew it would be a case of suck it and see but was trying to narrow the options down.how can i tell what old rws look like from the new rws? as i have never used this make befor.also are they hollow points?had seen on another forum that there had been issues with eley subs and they were not the round they used to be,seems they were getting stuck in the breach when trying too eject a live round.some said they would not be useing them any more they were that bad,maybe it was a bad batch who knows.

My cut-down Sako Finnfire enjoys a diet of RWS 40gn hollowpoints.

You've really just got to buy a brick of everything you can get your hands on and see what groups best in your rifle. Or if that doesn't float your boat buy whatever your RFD has going cheap but don't complain if you get the odd flyer or flopper. My son's 10/22 didn't really like Eley subs but I'm going back over ten years so is not a comment on current product quality.

No one can tell what will work well in your rifle, you are going to have to find out for yourself. So go and buy a box of Winchester, a box of Eley and a box of RWS and try them, it's hardly going to cost you a fortune. You could even try some of the American rubbish because sometimes that works well in certain rifles but it still boils down to suck it and see.

My own CZ rifle shoots all three well but shoots slightly better with Eley than RWS and Winchester, but I would not worry if all I could get was any of the other two because the results are quite acceptable from either.
Don't believe all you read about old stock or the older Eley design because any gun shop worth it's salt won't have old .22 ammo hanging around as it is a fast moving product.

Last edited:
RWS, a give noticeably better benched group of about 3/8" at 50 yds in my CZ. Not found any other make of HP to come close.

thanks for all your input will get a few boxes and get on my range,will not be getting a brick of every thing i can get my hands as some one surgested i could buy a new gun for what that lot would set me back,say six makes at £45 ago £270 i dont think so,what do you do with the 2250 rounds that your gun did not like?thanks again happy shooting. ps only joking about the 2250 rounds left and what to do with them.

thanks for all your input will get a few boxes and get on my range,will not be getting a brick of every thing i can get my hands as some one surgested i could buy a new gun for what that lot would set me back,say six makes at £45 ago £270 i dont think so,what do you do with the 2250 rounds that your gun did not like?thanks again happy shooting. ps only joking about the 2250 rounds left and what to do with them.

There is some validity to shooting as much of a certain ammo as you can afford before making a decision. Keep the cleaning rod and solvent out of the barrel while testing (and any other time, IMHO) but allow 10 shots between makes to settle the bore into the new round. I will shoot a few boxes of one ammo without changing brands before making a determination as to whether or no my rifle likes it.~Muir

The advice I was given when I first posted on this site a few years ago was to try as many brands as you can until you find one that suits your rifle.
The few I've tried have been very different in performance:

Winchester subs - ok, but very curvy trajectory and awfully bouncy.
Remington - absolutely awful! At least 1 in every 5 would be way off the mark.
Eley - mediocre. A bit flatter than the Win subs, and not quite so bouncy.
CCI - Excellent. I now use these almost exclusively. The segmented for rabbiting, and the ordinary hp for target practice. In my rifle (a brno #2) they way out perform anything else I've tried.

You just have to see what works for you and your combo.

+1 for the CCI subs.

I would love to buy enough from one batch to last for the rest of my life, but hey-ho, buy 2000, keep 2200.

Just goes to show how every rifle is different because CCI subs were absolutely awful in my two .22 rifles, even worst than Remington. However you can look on the bright side as at least they went off which is more than can be said for quite a few of the Remington rounds.

I have never come across Lapua subs but regularly use their target ammo on the range and it is very good. I have had bad experience of the Lapua match pistol rounds many years ago, found it to be totally inaccurate in several target pistols. More recently we tried Geco .22, the first batch was brilliant the next batch more akin to Remington than RWS.
Just goes to show that every rifle is different and lots can vary considerably, but that generally I find Winchester, RWS and Eley to be consistent and accurate in my rifles.
Cost doesn't come into it either as some of the most accurate .22 ammo that I have ever shot over the years has been certain lots of ex-military Eley, and Mexican Aquilla but that hasn't been imported for some years now.

Last edited:
RWS subsonics were very accurate in every rifle that I tried them in.
They actually grouped better than a lot of the target ammo that I had.
My mate also found them very accurate but thought winchester had more killing power.

I honestly dont think Eley subs are suitable for 10/22s i know of 3 others (one an AMT) plus my own, that leave light firing pin strikes on the rim of the case with not all igniting, this is because the eley brass formula is slightly harder then the US brass which does not suffer from this non ignition problem.

Ian

My Anschutz has a short barrel and although it likes Eley and Winchester subs it absolutely loves RWS subs (the ones in the black, silvers and blue box). The best bit is they are the cheaper of the 3 at my local range.

Rick

Back