Thread: Venison Liver Pt recipe ...

Venison Liver Pt recipe ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	33240

The following two recipes really demonstrates my love of venison offal … most particularly the liver. I find it has a luxurious richness and depth of flavour that works perfectly in these delicious full bodied recipes. They also make impressive statements at a dinner party, with the benefit of being able to make them well in advance.

Venison Liver Pt with Sloe Gin:

500g venison liver
    500g minced belly pork
    2-3 tbsp groundnut oil
    1 onion, finely chopped
    2 tbsp fresh thyme (makes a big difference), finely chopped
    100g fresh breadcrumbs (wholemeal)
    2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
    Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
    A pinch of nutmeg
    A good splash of Sloe Gin (homemade recipe found on my blog)
    8 slices streaky bacon for lining the tin

Sloe Gin Jelly:

Sloe Gin (recipe found here)
    Bay leaves
    Gelatin (use as per the packet guidelines)
    Pink peppercorns

1. Preheat the oven to 170C/325F/gas mark 3.

2. Remove the outer membranous capsule from the liver along with the any vessels or sinews. Then chop the liver very finely with a knife and mix with the minced belly pork.

3. Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium-low flame and gently sweat the onions and garlic until soft, approx 10 mins.

4. Stir the thyme into the liver and pork mixture, along with the onions, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, nutmeg and sloe gin. Mix together well.

5. Next step is to line a pt terrine or loaf tin with the slices of streaky bacon, making sure to leave the bacon overlapping the edges on all four sides. Spoon in the pt and wrap the bacon over the top.

6. Wrap the top of the terrine tin in foil and place in a roasting tin. Pour boiling water into the tin so it comes halfway up the side of the terrine. Cook in the oven for 1 1/2 hours.

7. Now whilst the pt is still warm, remove the lid and weigh down the top of the pt to compress it. I find this most easy to achieve by placing a thick piece of card wrapped in tin foil on to the terrine and then weighing this down with a couple of large tins. Leave overnight, or up to 12 hours. Remove the weight and upturn the pate from the tin on to a plate and refrigerate.

8. To make the sloe gin jelly to go on top combine the gelatin and sloe gin as directed by the gelatin packet instructions (these vary). Once combined add a handful of pink peppercorns to the mix. Then pour 3/4 of the jelly into the terrine tin and arrange bay leaves in the mix as decoration. Refrigerate to set.

9. Once the jelly is set place the pt on top and then pour in the remaining 1/4 jelly mix (this might have to be reheated, as it may too have started setting). Return to the fridge for an hour or so to completely set.

10. To turn out the the pt briefly place the terrine dish in a shallow dish of hot water to loosen the gelatin (no more than 5 seconds). Place a plate on top of the tin and flip … et voila!!! A spectacularly lavish pt!!!

Venison Liver Parfait with Blackberry Brandy Jelly:

500g venison liver
    150g butter
    1 garlic clove , very finely chopped
    1 shallot , finely chopped
    1 large sprig thyme, very finely chopped
    2 tbsp double cream
    150ml Blackberry brandy (homemade recipe on my blog soon)

Blackberry Brandy Jelly:

200ml Blackberry brandy
    gelatin (as per instructions)
    thyme – finely chopped to garnish

1. Once again remove the membranous outer liver capsule and trim the liver of any sinews. Chop the liver into roughly 2 inch pieces.

2. Heat a generous knob of butter in a large frying pan and gently fry the livers with the garlic, shallot, and thyme. Season well and fry until the livers are browned but still soft when pressed, and pink (but not raw) in the middle.

3. Deglaze the pan with 150ml of blackberry brandy and simmer to reduce by half.

4. Throw the livers into a food processor and blend into a smooth paste. Then blend in in the reduced blackberry brandy, cream and remaining butter. Once blitzed press the mixture through a fine sieve – this is boring, but worth it for a really smooth texture.

5. Now prepare the blackberry brandy jelly by mixing with the gelatin and fresh thyme, once again following the gelatin packet guidelines for amounts to be used. Once combined pour into the terrine tin and set in the fridge.

6. Once set, spoon the parfait mixture into the tin and allow to set in the fridge for at least 4 hours. To remove, use a sharp knife and carefully slide it down all four side to release the parfait. Then place the tin in warm water for no more than 5 seconds to release the jelly and upturn on to a serving plate.

Nb. the parfait can also simply be placed into individual ramekins and sealed with clarified butter. Both the pt and the parfait can be frozen.

See more recipes on my blog:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	33241
    Last edited by Dr.S.Jordan; 08-10-2013 at 22:59.

Well I know what the next liver is being used for now
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks