First gun you bought?

RED-DOT

My first gun i ever bought myself was an Essex SS ejector in 1973 from a Littlewoods catalogue for £70 and all i had to do was show my tiny shotgun licence obtained from the local PO to my cousin who was the Littlewoods agent. I couldn't get used to it at all after using a Baikal single barrel so i straight swapped it for a Ford Anglia and had years of innocent dating and sex and touring in that great wee car.
Now i was approached by a chap who bought the shotgun off the wife of the second owner after he passed away and has owned it for 34 years and guess what he wants £1,000 for it now.
Its like the fella on here searching for his dads guns so sentimental value comes into it so my question is this... Does anyone know where my Anglia is??

First air rifle was a Webley MK3 .22-loved that gun, first shotgun was a Mossberg semi auto which i could hit precisely f**k all with.

Mine was, and still is, a Brno side-by-side 12 bore shotgun with plain blacked sidelocks and absolutely no engraving or decadent Western capitalist bourgeois flummery whatsoever. I saved up my money when I obtained my first SGC at 18 and went out to D&P Guns in Catford to buy it. Weird shop. Lovely gun though. We have had many adventures together, it has the strongest ejectors of any shotgun I've ever seen, and apart from needing the action tightened a bit after about 15 years, it's never caused me any trouble.

First airgun was a BSA meteor :) and first real gun was a webley bolt action .410 i swapped my mates dad 20 rabbits for :) I shot all sorts with that little gun happy days !

First airgun was a BSA meteor :)

I learnt to shoot with my uncles BSA Meteor in the late 80's I guess, got my own air rifle in 1990 - a BSA Superstar which I still have. Got my first shotgun, a Beretta 686 12G about a year later for my 17th birthday, which I also still have! :D

BSA Mercury Mk 1 and still have it. AYA yeoman ejector purchased from Ebralls in Shrewsbury, had it fitted at West Mid shooting ground, bored out to improved and 1/4 choke and is still going strong. Have shot thousands of pigeon with it and has only failed once when the first barrel ejector spring broke, was on a big day on pigeons on drillings and had shot about 90 that was probably in the mid 80's. Had the barrels reblacked in Bath probably 15 yrs ago. Lovely gun and would never part with it. Best with Gamebore Super Games, 32grm 6's fibres.

D

I can confess to sentimentality as I reacquired my first deer rifle (308 remmie ADL) specifically because it was my old rifle. It has since been rebarreled, restocked and re triggered as a 6.5x47. Makes no sense as I could have used a Full custom action, but then it wouldn't have been my rifle !!

.177 Diana slug gun... That wee gun accounted for a fair few head of 'game'.
I use the word game in the loosest possible context . . .:D

Man that was 25 years ago, wish I still had that wee gem.

did a paper round to save up for a second hand vulcan with a lesley hewett 4x40 scope. Could go through 500 pellets in a day during the summer holidays. Used to lamp with a car battery in a back pack and a headlight attached to a piece of wood. My LED LENSER that fits in my pocket is several times better.

A Diana G76 or 79 - cant remember which, I have no idea where it would be now but I remember feeling a massive amount of guilt as a child when i actually managed to kill a rabbit with it! all I could hear in my head was "Bright Eyes, burning like fire" :cry:

regards,

Gixer

First air gun Webley mk3 underlever, first shotgun a Cogswell and Harrison single barrel hammer gun, and I shot bloody loads of stuff with that, wish I had never sold it.

Started with .22 BSA Supersport then onto the 12bore AYA Yeoman BLNE. Still enjoy shooting with the BSA more than any of the other guns I own its an ace wee thing for tree rats and Hoodies. But by the sounds of things a Ford Anglia (before my night-time career started) would have been the business as trying to pick up girls in the clapped out estate landy was bloody hard work lol!!!!!

I learnt to shoot with my uncles BSA Meteor in the late 80's I guess, got my own air rifle in 1990 - a BSA Superstar which I still have. Got my first shotgun, a Beretta 686 12G about a year later for my 17th birthday, which I also still have! :D
Great little airgun the meteor wasn't it :) sadly mine was stolen from a shed on my mates allotment :( wish I still had it .

First was a BSA Airsporter Mk1. Shot loads of stuff with that one!
Then I got given a BSA 12 bore SxS. Some bits were missing which my dad made out of some thick piano wire and some landrover leaf spring! Shot that for years until one day the silver solder gave up and the barrels and ribs parted company. They wouldn't repair it as it was way out of proof!
First firearm was a Stevens .22LR with a tube magazine under the barrel which took 22 short rounds or 15 long. I don't own any of them now, but I have happy memories of all of them.
(I did share a BSA cadet major with my older brother though before the airsporter).
MS
Incidentally, I do have a Mk1 BSA Meteor with the original iron sights if anyone fancies re-living their youth? Probably worth about £50 if anyone wants it?

Last edited:
Back