Thread: Muntjac numbers - an investigative project

Muntjac numbers - an investigative project

I am currently studying Countryside Management at Bridgwater college and they have given us the chance to do an investigative project. The subject matter is entirely our own choice and so I decided to do my project on "The increase in muntjac numbers" - I have been doing some research and contacted the BDS for some of their deer count information.

I would really appreciate some information form anyone in Somerset about where might be best to find some Muntjac that I can make the focus of my study. I need to be able to evaluate the increase of numbers on a given area and see if they really are increasing. This will involve visiting the site, checking for droppings, slots, hair and so on, as well as observation, photos and possibly trail cams. There will also be speaking with the land owner, farmers, stalkers, gamekeepers and other people working the land to get their input on numbers and how many have been seen.

If anyone could help I would really appreciate you getting in touch, either on this thread or by PM if you prefer

Bettinsoli Silver Sporter 12 Bore
    AYA Boxlock SBS 20 bore
    Ruger M77 Mk II in .243
    One day a 30-06 of some kind
    Countryside Management Diary -

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Try anywhere around Bath area.
    Woodland Trust at Colerne in Bath too. We used to cull in there.
    Woodland trust also means you can pretty much walk where you want too.
    Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.........Dalai Lama