Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FLy Fishing Starter

FLy Fishing Starter

My youngest (13) is dead keen to do fly fishing. We've had some lessons, enjoyed it and he'd like to get some kit. Are the advertised kits eg airflo any good? I'd rather spend a bit more if it means kit that is nice to use. (it will be small lake and river to start with)

Great to hear. I will say for small lake e.g. put and take fishery a 9' 7weight would be a good start. How ever for river trouts it may be a bit over kill. I like a 9' 5 weight outfit for my rivers. Theres nothing wrong with air-flo to start with. As for cost of good kit!!! Its a bit like stalking kit!! And how deep your pockets are!! There are rods out there like Sage which could easy set you back 750.. As your lads just starting out look for a rod with a more mid action.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Good on you and good on your boy!

I would split the difference with Nutty and suggest a 9' 6 weight rod to start with, as this will cover most of your requirements whilst you are learning.

I haven't used an Airflo rod for a while but they used to be pretty good.

I think in general it's hard to buy a bad rod these days. Given where you are based I'd suggest a trip across to John Norris at Penrith or call Sportfish and ask for one of their catalogues. John Norris do full starter outfits such as John Norris Pro2 River and Small Stillwater Outfit Page 1 that a friend of mine bought and which seem very good.

Alternatively, and if you have a competent fly fishing friend you can liaise with, keep an eye on eBay and you can pick up some real bargains secondhand.

Whatever path you follow, enjoy!

Last edited by willie_gunn; 09-10-2013 at 20:08.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Ive sent you a pm Buchan.
    I have more flyfishing tackle than most shops!
    Everything from 3wt to 10wt.
    I'd be happy to give you the kit to start off on his journey.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    Ive sent you a pm Buchan.
    I have more flyfishing tackle than most shops!
    Everything from 3wt to 10wt.
    I'd be happy to give you the kit to start off on his journey.
    well done that man

Quote Originally Posted by chrisc View Post
    well done that man
    +1 on that
    cannie beat that, i wish i had that offer 40 year's ago lol
    Your a long time dead, enjoy every day like it's your last!!!

hi good to hear you and your son are getting in to fly fishing, as for tackle ask any group of anglers and they will give you different answers, i have been fly fishing all summer on the dordogne river in france and have found a #4 rod will cope with any trout or grayling you are likley to catch, i have also fished a big lake in france and caught rainbows to 5lb + and the #4 was more than enough, but to start off take up limulus fantastic offer and get fishing
    cheers geoff

Id suggest a slightly heavier rod to start off, a 5-6weight with a cortland 444floater. Forgiving on the timing of the cast yet enough back bone to not twist the action of the rod by all the thrashing starters tend to use when trying to cast.
    I think I have a nice system 2 reel set up with this line on to go along with an orvis rod that'd be perfect to start.
    I have an RPL11 7 weight here but its hyper critical on cast timing and really only suitable for an experienced fly line caster.
    I also have a 9 weight GLoomis which is brilliant as a pike/striped bass/bone fish set up and very forgiving but far too heavy to start with.
    If you want some casting tips, especially on double or single haul techniques I'd be happy to help out.
    Casting on a river is a completely different ball game and again, Id be happy to show steeple casts, upstream mends etc etc
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

I'd be happy to tie some flies f.o.c.

Buchan, I have spare gear incl: rod, reel, line, flies. Yours if you want them, Pm sent.

if you want to buy you can't go wrong Shakespeare Agility Fly rods, excellent rods for the price. Reels just hold line so it is pointless spending too much on them.