FLy Fishing Starter

Buchan

My youngest (13) is dead keen to do fly fishing. We've had some lessons, enjoyed it and he'd like to get some kit. Are the advertised kits eg airflo any good? I'd rather spend a bit more if it means kit that is nice to use. (it will be small lake and river to start with)

Thanks

Great to hear. I will say for small lake e.g. put and take fishery a 9' 7weight would be a good start. How ever for river trouts it may be a bit over kill. I like a 9' 5 weight outfit for my rivers. Theres nothing wrong with air-flo to start with. As for cost of good kit!!! Its a bit like stalking kit!! And how deep your pockets are!! There are rods out there like Sage which could easy set you back £750.. As your lads just starting out look for a rod with a more mid action.

Nutty

Good on you and good on your boy!

I would split the difference with Nutty and suggest a 9' 6 weight rod to start with, as this will cover most of your requirements whilst you are learning.

I haven't used an Airflo rod for a while but they used to be pretty good.

I think in general it's hard to buy a bad rod these days. Given where you are based I'd suggest a trip across to John Norris at Penrith or call Sportfish and ask for one of their catalogues. John Norris do full starter outfits such as John Norris Pro2 River and Small Stillwater Outfit Page 1 that a friend of mine bought and which seem very good.

Alternatively, and if you have a competent fly fishing friend you can liaise with, keep an eye on eBay and you can pick up some real bargains secondhand.

Whatever path you follow, enjoy!

​willie_gunn

Last edited:
Ive sent you a pm Buchan.
I have more flyfishing tackle than most shops!
Everything from 3wt to 10wt.
I'd be happy to give you the kit to start off on his journey.

hi good to hear you and your son are getting in to fly fishing, as for tackle ask any group of anglers and they will give you different answers, i have been fly fishing all summer on the dordogne river in france and have found a #4 rod will cope with any trout or grayling you are likley to catch, i have also fished a big lake in france and caught rainbows to 5lb + and the #4 was more than enough, but to start off take up limulus fantastic offer and get fishing
cheers geoff

Id suggest a slightly heavier rod to start off, a 5-6weight with a cortland 444floater. Forgiving on the timing of the cast yet enough back bone to not twist the action of the rod by all the thrashing starters tend to use when trying to cast.
I think I have a nice system 2 reel set up with this line on to go along with an orvis rod that'd be perfect to start.
I have an RPL11 7 weight here but its hyper critical on cast timing and really only suitable for an experienced fly line caster.
I also have a 9 weight GLoomis which is brilliant as a pike/striped bass/bone fish set up and very forgiving but far too heavy to start with.
If you want some casting tips, especially on double or single haul techniques I'd be happy to help out.
Casting on a river is a completely different ball game and again, Id be happy to show steeple casts, upstream mends etc etc

Buchan, I have spare gear incl: rod, reel, line, flies. Yours if you want them, Pm sent.

if you want to buy you can't go wrong Shakespeare Agility Fly rods, excellent rods for the price. Reels just hold line so it is pointless spending too much on them.

I fly fish at bessy beck fishery google them ad there un Cumbria great for kids ti learn and pretty easy to catch cheap there as well.

As someone has mentioned, now that carbon fibre rods are standard and affordable, it's hard to find a really bad rod. But when I started out fly fishing aged 15, my father bought me the worst (cheapest) beginner's set-up in the world. Combined with the fact that I had to pretty much teach myself to cast as I didn't know anyone else who fished in this way (or at all, come to think of it), it took me two years of blanking and spending all my pocket money on day tickets to no avail before I landed a fish. And that was with the Hardy Sovereign rod that my mother bought me with which I could actually cast. So essentially, I'm saying one shouldn't risk destroying someone's enthusiasm by hampering them with poor kit.

There's a bit in the famous "Mr Crabtree Goes Fishing" where Mr Crabtree insists that Peter should use a centrepin reel for spinning and not be allowed a fixed spool reel until he masters the former. I always thought that in that instance, Mr Crabtree was being a bit of a knob...

I would advise against buying a kit. Buy a decent rod and reel, say a brook rod, rated 3-5 of good quality which will eventually become part of his fly rod armoury in his later life. Or if he loses interest you can claim it back.

Over lining is a good tip, it makes it much easier for the caster to feel the correct timing of the cast. It is a method many casting instructors use. Buy a cheaper 6 weight floater for him to start with,then you can buy an expensive one if he carries on with it.

I notice you have been offered rods and stuff already, but if they fall through I have two of the 8ft Normark Blue Fox rated 3-5 that I bought for my twins that are cluttering up the place. PM me if you need them, it would be my pleasure.

​Simon

Buchan,

My experience is similar to others;

All but the cheapest rods are suitable for a beginner.

Reels hold line for the most part, so get a cheap one with cheap spare cassettes or spools so you can use different lines without having to buy a new reel.

Fly lines are where you need to invest a bit. I've used Cortland and Scientific Anglers for years and they're good. I've also had good Hardy lines. I suspect that many different branded lines come from the same factory. Airflo make excellent fast sinking lines, but avoid their floaters - they suffer badly from memory (coiling).

In order to fish the average small, stocked, stillwater from the bank I'd suggest you get a weight forward floater, some sort of intermediate line (slow sinking) and a fast sinker (Di 7). These three will allow you to fish from the top to the bottom.

Cheers,

Bob

Mike Barrio makes very good fly line i have tried most makes and now only use Barrio Mallard or GT90 they cost around £26 including postage, super smooth and memory free

Yup ! Go and see the Guys at John Norris !
Over the years I've done a lot of business there.
Julian is the main man !
Good Luck !

As a side to everyones advice on rod,reel wt choice,I would encourage you to arrange some casting lessons with a suitable fly casting instructor.
He will learn a lot more with someone like that in a space of a few hours,rather than scratching around for a year wondering wher he's going wrong.
A few hours in the rudements in casting,together will be of great help,he will of course remeber and over time won't pick up bad habits.

Back