Fallow Rut

Same down here in the SW. Had a great stalk yesterday - through oak woods to within 30m of a grunting buck. Love this time of year!

Rgds

Ian

Hi Liftman
where about in Sussex are you I was in and around Battle this weekend and didn't hear a grunt .

Chill

Out near M4 Hungerford Thurs. Saw a bunch of does and followers, but no buck with them. Then a well grown buck on his own, two fields from the does.

Nothing up here, shot a fallow buck out of a group of two this morning; he was just starting to smell slightly, had been feeding a bit on acorns but not a lot. It was so still up here this morning but no gunts whatsoever. For here still a little early, but will see!

Havent seen a real buck all season so far, just does, followers and the odd pricket... then I saw this from friday ...

I was out in Sussex at the weekend . I did have one buck rutting for two consecutive mornings and then stopped ? I also heard the odd half hearted grunt as I stalked through the forest but no rutting activity . Yesterday I saw a pricket running hard behind a doe , so this years rut , when will it happen? .One thing is for certain most of the does will be pregnant by the end of the month .

Chill

Definitely in full swing in our part of Herefordshire. Working in the woods today and ended up watching a big Fallow buck grunting away. Saw him push off two other bucks who were trying to nick some of his does. Two of us watched them for 10 minutes from about 60 yards away, "Herbert" was sat on the quad, while I was stood in the middle of a ride, both of us smoking rollies, the Fallow didn't seem at all concerned with us turning up.

Back