Extortionate prices for dogs....

Wolverine

The fact is,some people are seeing the UK as some sort of cash cow for rarer breeds which are not as numerous/popular here as on the continent.Not only that,some prey on the fact that there is not the knowledge of these breeds in the UK.....such a pity for such people that this has changed/is changing.

What I would say though,is make sure you know EXACTLY what you are purchasing.
Do you know the history of the pedigree,is epilepsy prevalent,do you have the expertise required to know this?
How many tracks per year do the sire and dam do,on what game?

Just because you are told a dog barks,does it......ie do you believe everything you are told-I do not,I learn it,study it and then ask other more knowledgable people than I about the perceived subject.Same with a dog purchased abroad-ask others who know the sire and dam,preferably(if you can-difficult though)see them work.

Serious trackers/serious dog men know all about the KBGS and other societies.Especially on the continent.....

Just because a dog has a FCI pedigree does not mean that dog will work nor does it mean its worth a heap of cold hard cash.No matter how many show awards it has achieved.
In Europe,certain breeds have to sit basic tests before being allowed to be shown in shows,please do note the word BASIC.
FCI pedigree is NO guarantee of health status NOR working ability,it will normally look like that breed though.

Saying all that-there is no saying that a FCI papered dog will not be a brilliant worker,free from health issues,however,I like to hedge my bets in my favour and the dogs.

What I would say is these FCI dogs are more expensive here in the UK than they are abroad,why?
Who is making the money?

Often these FCI dogs are more expensive than dogs from societies which care about the working ability foremost,health foremost and conformation foremost.These dogs are proven on harder tests by much much more knowledgable trackers.
These societies actually care about the dogs and their work......not the money to be made from them.
Please note-these societies dogs are also FCI papered.They have a much more important added distinction.....that is the stamp,ISHV,on that FCI pedigree.....that is the guarantee of EVERY dog within that pedigree that has been tested to an internationally accepted standard for working ability,temperament,aptitude,conformation and as importantly for health issues......all this before ever being allowed to breed and only with a dog with the same stamp on its pedigree-ie the partner of the mating having passed exactly the same stringent tests...best to the best gives you a much better chance...... where would you want a dog from?

The dogs health and their work are of paramount importance.

Some I think,see myself on some sort of soapbox,when in fact,this has nothing to do with the matter at hand,I like others,do not enjoy people being told lies and mistruths all for one purpose......to make money out of a dog.

If I was charged £5000 for a cull roe buck.
Even if seller said it was a gold medal......when it was not-you know the difference but what if you do not know the difference.......you get burned for your hard earned.....
Exactly the same on that classified ad.

I am sorry that I broke rules on a classified ad-however,do we just let people buy something which is far from what they believe they are actually getting.Perhaps better to say nothing at all,I don't know,perhaps people do not want to know the differences that are there within breeds......believe me-there are differences.
A dog is sometimes not as it seems.Neither are the owners.

Saying all that-Sikamalc did state something very correct,if that's the price,you'll either want it or not.

This post is meant to give a little insight into information before purchasing any dog.

Seeing as scenthounds seem to be such an emotive issue at the moment,this post is purely to clarify what FCI(Cynologique)means on a pedigree,not much without certain other things.

wife and lad wish a dog me i wish a black good drakes head lab from a working stock with good hips ect, but its a toss up 5k for a dog or a new roof !! dog last 10yr if lucky being hard but true and the roof lasts a 100 yrs . i just don't understand why they are so pricey now days even with vet bills ect one litter can bring in 40k :eek:

Next time we breed a litter of pure bred working Springer Spaniels (non-KC registered) we will be looking for a price of around £ 350 each.

atb Tim

I suppose it's just like anything else, only worth what someone's willing to pay
for it .. I have known of working spaniels going for £1200

Even your average non working stock pet labs are making five hundred quid a pop.

Sounds a fair price

There is a litter in Shooting times this week purposely bred one quater clumber three quater springer pups. £500 and £600!!!!

No idea who will be paying that sort of money for what is effectively a springer dumber down potentially!

Why not spend £400 on a springer or £500 on a cocker?

but why as you say its our own faults i gess .think i shall find a resue pup and bring it on with out the KC paperwork as i wish a working dog not a cash cow 350 yup thats a fair price

Next time we breed a litter of pure bred working Springer Spaniels (non-KC registered) we will be looking for a price of around £ 350 each.

atb Tim

You woudln't stand a chance of selling none KC Springer's round here for that money as you can get them for £350-00 KC registered Docked and micro chiped for that.

Jimbo

I suppose it's just like anything else, only worth what someone's willing to pay
for it .. I have known of working spaniels going for £1200

Even your average non working stock pet labs are making five hundred quid a pop.

£1200-00 that would be a Spaniel trained and ready to go.

Jimbo

Remember when selling pups you can ask what ever you wish but HIGH PRICED PUPS are not selling at the moment just look on the internet site's and see how many pups have been reduced in price as the breeders can't sell them at the original asking price. The RESESSION bites everywhere.

Jimbo

The fact is,some people are seeing the UK as some sort of cash cow for rarer breeds which are not as numerous/popular here as on the continent.Not only that,some prey on the fact that there is not the knowledge of these breeds in the UK.....such a pity for such people that this has changed/is changing. What I would say though,is make sure you know EXACTLY what you are purchasing. Do you know the history of the pedigree,is epilepsy prevalent,do you have the expertise required to know this? How many tracks per year do the sire and dam do,on what game? Just because you are told a dog barks,does it......ie do you believe everything you are told-I do not,I learn it,study it and then ask other more knowledgable people than I about the perceived subject.Same with a dog purchased abroad-ask others who know the sire and dam,preferably(if you can-difficult though)see them work. Serious trackers/serious dog men know all about the KBGS and other societies.Especially on the continent..... Just because a dog has a FCI pedigree does not mean that dog will work nor does it mean its worth a heap of cold hard cash.No matter how many show awards it has achieved. In Europe,certain breeds have to sit basic tests before being allowed to be shown in shows,please do note the word BASIC. FCI pedigree is NO guarantee of health status NOR working ability,it will normally look like that breed though. Saying all that-there is no saying that a FCI papered dog will not be a brilliant worker,free from health issues,however,I like to hedge my bets in my favour and the dogs. What I would say is these FCI dogs are more expensive here in the UK than they are abroad,why? Who is making the money? Often these FCI dogs are more expensive than dogs from societies which care about the working ability foremost,health foremost and conformation foremost.These dogs are proven on harder tests by much much more knowledgable trackers. These societies actually care about the dogs and their work......not the money to be made from them. Please note-these societies dogs are also FCI papered.They have a much more important added distinction.....that is the stamp,ISHV,on that FCI pedigree.....that is the guarantee of EVERY dog within that pedigree that has been tested to an internationally accepted standard for working ability,temperament,aptitude,conformation and as importantly for health issues......all this before ever being allowed to breed and only with a dog with the same stamp on its pedigree-ie the partner of the mating having passed exactly the same stringent tests...best to the best gives you a much better chance...... where would you want a dog from? The dogs health and their work are of paramount importance. Some I think,see myself on some sort of soapbox,when in fact,this has nothing to do with the matter at hand,I like others,do not enjoy people being told lies and mistruths all for one purpose......to make money out of a dog. If I was charged £5000 for a cull roe buck. Even if seller said it was a gold medal......when it was not-you know the difference but what if you do not know the difference.......you get burned for your hard earned..... Exactly the same on that classified ad. I am sorry that I broke rules on a classified ad-however,do we just let people buy something which is far from what they believe they are actually getting.Perhaps better to say nothing at all,I don't know,perhaps people do not want to know the differences that are there within breeds......believe me-there are differences. A dog is sometimes not as it seems.Neither are the owners. Saying all that-Sikamalc did state something very correct,if that's the price,you'll either want it or not. This post is meant to give a little insight into information before purchasing any dog. ​ Seeing as scenthounds seem to be such an emotive issue at the moment,this post is purely to clarify what FCI(Cynologique)means on a pedigree,not much without certain other things.

Good post! :thumb:

Advertised dogs are not the way to go, I have always purchased my dogs, at the minute 2labs drakeshead, from people I know such as keepers. Most breed them to keep there own lines going and not to make a quick buck and none have had to advertise as most of the pups have gone before they are born. One of my pals has a litter of cockers on the way but after seeing the hype wirth will and kate having one he will want fortunes but none will go to the working homes that I know. It ia going bad when one of my neighbours was broken to for a cocker and its pups.

Presumably a dog at £5000 would come fully trained, and hence the time of the trainer and board and keep of the dog is being recovered in the price.

You might as well ask why a shot gun can fetch £50000 and more?

i like to train my own and build up as a team, every one has a bit of there own style and a fully trained dog don't have a clue what you the new owner is on about voice speed of com's tempo hand ect .or is the 5k inc a day of trainer trainer to match the dogs training

What ever peoples opinions of dogs, breed clubs, qualifications etc I would like to thank Wolverine for sticking his neck out for what appears to me to be a purely selfless act of decent advice to potential dog buyers. I for one would like to think others would "look out" for us guys on here whether it be a rob dog stalking provider or a consistently poor shop, or as recently a scam selling scopes on the net. Good job Wolverine.

I see a few asking you might as well ask what a shot gun costs etc. My feeling is this if i buy a Swarovski rifle scope off the SD i expect just that not a copy. Would i know the difference i am not sure. But if someone was advertising a copy i would expect the Site members who know their stuff regards scopes guns etc to give the the heads up.
So i take it this thread has come about because there is a bmh pup for sale in the classifieds. For me its to expensive as are alot of our home grown BMH pups.

Last edited:
There are plenty of home grown bmh pups of the same calibre for a lot less money,
George has stuck out his neck by starting this thread to worn the good people of the sd the perils of buying a over priced dog, allow most can see the scam.
well done George.
As amid have said it's the buyers choice, but no harm in warning thouse who don't know

Well done Wolverine, a good educational post that will be well received by most members no doubt.
Wolverine (George) is passionate about tracking and the dogs. He is also very generous with his time and advice.
He has helped me to develop my young Labrador bitch to the degree that I put her on tracks that I would never have attempted without his advice and encouragement. He tells it as it is and doesn't pull his punches but it is in the best interests of the deer, the dogs and those of us, who would do our best to track the former with the latter. We can't make omelettes without cracking eggs.
George has apologised for breaching the rules on classified ads and I hope that particular matter will be laid to rest.

Advertised dogs are not the way to go, I have always purchased my dogs, at the minute 2labs drakeshead, from people I know such as keepers. Most breed them to keep there own lines going and not to make a quick buck and none have had to advertise as most of the pups have gone before they are born. One of my pals has a litter of cockers on the way but after seeing the hype wirth will and kate having one he will want fortunes but none will go to the working homes that I know. It ia going bad when one of my neighbours was broken to for a cocker and its pups.

Hi Howy 308 I have to beg to differ as there are not enough people coming into shooting for all the working dogs bred to go to working homes. The last two litters i bred 12 pups only 5 ended up working and 2 i kept for myself. These days you have to advertise to sell as many go as pets.

Jimbo

The fact is,some people are seeing the UK as some sort of cash cow for rarer breeds which are not as numerous/popular here as on the continent.Not only that,some prey on the fact that there is not the knowledge of these breeds in the UK.....such a pity for such people that this has changed/is changing.

What I would say though,is make sure you know EXACTLY what you are purchasing.
Do you know the history of the pedigree,is epilepsy prevalent,do you have the expertise required to know this?
How many tracks per year do the sire and dam do,on what game?

Just because you are told a dog barks,does it......ie do you believe everything you are told-I do not,I learn it,study it and then ask other more knowledgable people than I about the perceived subject.Same with a dog purchased abroad-ask others who know the sire and dam,preferably(if you can-difficult though)see them work.

Serious trackers/serious dog men know all about the KBGS and other societies.Especially on the continent.....

Just because a dog has a FCI pedigree does not mean that dog will work nor does it mean its worth a heap of cold hard cash.No matter how many show awards it has achieved.
In Europe,certain breeds have to sit basic tests before being allowed to be shown in shows,please do note the word BASIC.
FCI pedigree is NO guarantee of health status NOR working ability,it will normally look like that breed though.

Saying all that-there is no saying that a FCI papered dog will not be a brilliant worker,free from health issues,however,I like to hedge my bets in my favour and the dogs.

What I would say is these FCI dogs are more expensive here in the UK than they are abroad,why?
Who is making the money?

Often these FCI dogs are more expensive than dogs from societies which care about the working ability foremost,health foremost and conformation foremost.These dogs are proven on harder tests by much much more knowledgable trackers.
These societies actually care about the dogs and their work......not the money to be made from them.
Please note-these societies dogs are also FCI papered.They have a much more important added distinction.....that is the stamp,ISHV,on that FCI pedigree.....that is the guarantee of EVERY dog within that pedigree that has been tested to an internationally accepted standard for working ability,temperament,aptitude,conformation and as importantly for health issues......all this before ever being allowed to breed and only with a dog with the same stamp on its pedigree-ie the partner of the mating having passed exactly the same stringent tests...best to the best gives you a much better chance...... where would you want a dog from?

The dogs health and their work are of paramount importance.

Some I think,see myself on some sort of soapbox,when in fact,this has nothing to do with the matter at hand,I like others,do not enjoy people being told lies and mistruths all for one purpose......to make money out of a dog.

If I was charged £5000 for a cull roe buck.
Even if seller said it was a gold medal......when it was not-you know the difference but what if you do not know the difference.......you get burned for your hard earned.....
Exactly the same on that classified ad.

I am sorry that I broke rules on a classified ad-however,do we just let people buy something which is far from what they believe they are actually getting.Perhaps better to say nothing at all,I don't know,perhaps people do not want to know the differences that are there within breeds......believe me-there are differences.
A dog is sometimes not as it seems.Neither are the owners.

Saying all that-Sikamalc did state something very correct,if that's the price,you'll either want it or not.

This post is meant to give a little insight into information before purchasing any dog.

Seeing as scenthounds seem to be such an emotive issue at the moment,this post is purely to clarify what FCI(Cynologique)means on a pedigree,not much without certain other things.

Well done Wolverine :thumb:

Back