Thread: Ooh arr

Ooh arr

Wiltshire Lad here. My name is Paul and I live in North Wiltshire. Last year I bought some land next to my house, mostly to protect from development but also as a place for me and my family to play. It is a mixture of pasture and woodland. I have held a SGC for twenty years, and used to hold an FAC for an air rifle, but let that lapse. Last year I reapplied for my FAC to get a rimfire to control rabbits and other vermin on my land.

Last winter I planted a new orchard and several hundred broad leaf saplings. Whilst restoring some coppice I saw quite a few roe as well as a few muntjac. I also saw the occasional fox. So I decided to apply for a variation for a 243 so I could shoot the foxes and control the deer who were enjoying the young shoots of my planting!

I have have been lurking here for or month or two, but I now have my rifle, a Tikka t3 stainless with synthetic stock, which is giving me lovely tight groups at 100 yards. My licence has been conditioned on either stalking with a mentor or to get a qualification before stalking alone. Obviously not a gun safety issue, as I can shoot fox unaccompanied! I have a friend who stalks, he has loaned me a few Richard Prior books that I have been reading. I am still thinking I will do my DSC1, as it is probably the easiest route to removing the condition, and I'm sure I'll learn something useful.

Welcome to the site. If your interested do your DSC1, its well worth it, especially if you do the course rather than just swot on line for the exam.

Welcome to the site..........I would recommend doing DSC1 and DSC2 but I would also join BASC and speak to there FAC department for advise on getting those conditions lifted as they are unnecessary...........

Already a member of BASC, and have been for some time. I had thought about a call to their legal department but I was a bit worried about alienating my FEO. If I'm going to do my DSC1 anyway then why rock the boat?

your either way,if you can wait then happy days....welcome to SD anyway

Welcome. Once you have got your DSC1 I would be interested to see how you get on with these deer!

Quote Originally Posted by Wiltshire Lad View Post

thinking I will do my DSC1, as it is probably the easiest route to removing the condition, and I'm sure I'll learn something useful.

Hello Paul,
    That's the reason I did my DSC1 too. I did the course with Jelen and can recommend it as very enjoyable and yes, you do learn a huge amount.

Welcome to the site,

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses