Wiring info for light force roof lamp??????

Dax

My mate has given me a roof lamp with two sets of 2 wires on it

appears to be 2 external wires and 2 internal wires

anyone know the wiring set up for this as the guy who gave me the lamp can't remember

​thanks

2 external go to the lamp. two internal go to a power source. like your battery. tlhen u can use the switch on the handle

Last edited:
Mine are red and black wires, red positive - black earth. Wire it direct onto the battery and have an inline fuse on the positive wire

​Al

View attachment 33527
2 external go to the lamp. two internal go to a power source. like your interior light. then u can use the switch on the handle

the circle needs extending to the power source ie: battery with a fuse in line with a rating of 7.5 amps

the square is where you connect the lamp no fuse needed here.

bob

WARNING:

i would advise against using the interior light for the power source, a 100 amp lamp draws just under 10 amps on start up and will draw close to 8 amps when run for for a short time.

the wiring in the interior light in a car is rated about 3 amps..............so this could lead to a fire/short circuit in the car wiring.

one of my shooting buddies ran his 170 from the interior lamp and melted the roof lining and the wire in the roof lining all melted down past the window pillar in his l200.

bob.

Last edited:
If you know what you are doing run it of the fuse board there will be spare slots to run spot lamps or other ancillaries just need to put the right blade fuse in no need for in line fuse then.
If not pay a auto electrician better than setting you vehicle on fire if you get it wrong and have a short.

Last edited:
Go straight to the battery and put a fuse in it. That way it can be operated all the time.

If you do go down this route put your inline fuse as close to the battery as possible that way if you get a short due to a bad cable run causing chaffing then you will be ok, if you put the fuse near to the lamp and your short is between fuse and battery you will run the risk of melting the cable at best and a nice fire at worst.
If your not sure as i said in my other post pay to get it done right.

I have a question .... Why bother roof mounting a lamp ?? In my experiance it's no easier to use , looks crap and is an instant advert to antis as to what you are doing with your evenings , I just can't see why people roof mount them

View attachment 33527

WARNING:

i would advise against using the interior light for the power source, a 100 amp lamp draws just under 10 amps on start up and will draw close to 8 amps when run for for a short time.

the wiring in the interior light in a car is rated about 3 amps..............so this could lead to a fire/short circuit in the car wiring.

one of my shooting buddies ran his 170 from the interior lamp and melted the roof lining and the wire in the roof lining all melted down past the window pillar in his l200.

bob.

To true bob, a common mistake, thats why I would have to agree with Ranger.

Mine are red and black wires, red positive - black earth. Wire it direct onto the battery and have an inline fuse on the positive wire

​Al

Rgds Buck.:thumb:

Last edited:
View attachment 33527

the circle needs extending to the power source ie: battery with a fuse in line with a rating of 7.5 amps

the square is where you connect the lamp no fuse needed here.

bob

WARNING:

bob.

Use a 7.5 amp fuse ....... Lamp draws just under 10 amp on start up & just under 8 amp when running?
Would this not blow a 7.5 amp fuse?

How about plugging into the 12v cigarette lighter socket?
Wingy

I have done this in the past and it melts the socket, easier straight from the battery.

Cheers, I've just wired a spare socket direct to a constant positive wire in the ignition system. I might just use this for phone charger etc. without the engine running as I wouldn't want to burn out the mass of wires in that loom.

mine is on a head lamp spot light relay fused pos and neg and de-mountable as its on the sucker bar, use boat type water proof socket under bonnet, led type power switch mounted on dash so you don't leave it on and can see its on, an easy to fit 15 min job. but i was an auto sparks use the correct ampage wire to take the power and heat as per ohms law (no look it up) it will save you trying to unmelt the wires one day

I have a question .... Why bother roof mounting a lamp ?? In my experiance it's no easier to use , looks crap and is an instant advert to antis as to what you are doing with your evenings , I just can't see why people roof mount them

If you lamp on your own a roof mounted lamp is invaluable and you don't get cables all tangled up with your other gear. On a lighter note, if another car driver dazzles you, a spotlight that chucks out a million candle power is quite handy

Al :D

If you lamp on your own a roof mounted lamp is invaluable and you don't get cables all tangled up with your other gear. On a lighter note, if another car driver dazzles you, a spotlight that chucks out a million candle power is quite handy

Al :D

exactly why im away too put my lamp through my roof. no cables catching on stiff. no glare off the bonnet or bull bars. jst a whole lot easier to deal with than all that hassle. nothing worse trying to get that extra couple inch of wire u need to reach and its tangled round the gear stick. :banghead:

Simples:
gages.jpg

DSC01942.jpg

Cheers

K

Even better wire it up to a 2nd leisure battery somewhere in the vehicle and put a split charge relay in so the leisure battery is kept charged up when the engine is running. That way if you sit up calling for charlie for any ammount of time you will never drain your car battery and get stranded. Also the leisure battery will last ages as it's designed to run flat, whereas your car battery isn't,

Stratts

Back