Old man gone

LuckyEddie

Well my dad passed away on Friday.
He wasn't in to shooting but by god he loved his fishing, gardening and his grandchildren.
Taught me to fish at the age of 6 when I caught my first brown trout on a 10' split cane rod that I could barely lift and dad had to cast for me.

The year his fruit trees produce the biggest harvest for ages and he wasn't able to enjoy it:(

I'm going to miss the "wee toe rag" as the nurses nicknamed him since he wouldn't always take his medication but he always had a smile for them.

Wish me luck for the funeral on Thursday as I'm going to be a wreck

Sleep easy dad - you earned your rest.

Ed

So sorry for your loss mate , I can't begin to imagine how hard it must be , good luck for the funeral .
he sounds like a great fella and some fantastic memories you have there
​Atb Jim

Thanks guys
He was truely original.
Sometimes really irksome but considering he was taken from home at the age of 16 and forced to work in labour camps in Germany then that could be forgiven.
As for his gardening Percy Thrower didn't have a look in.
He once stuck a clipped branch (upside down) into the ground to mark the end of a row of peas - by the time the peas finished the branch had sprouted. I can't even get seeds to sprout.

Best time fishing was when I was ten - we caught 10 flounders, 6 eels and 2 sea trout got back home at 11:30 and mum was livid but those smoked eels were the best.

He also couldn't do enough for either my sister's two boys or my two girls.

Ed

So sorry to hear about the loss of your Father and my thoughts will be with you on Thursday. It sounds like you have some wonderful memories of the times you spent with your father, cherish them and a part of him will always be with you!

"He isn't gone - just a bit further away, and the phone line isn't too good".

That's the thought that got me through my dad's funeral and the months that followed.
Hope you give him a good send off, whatever.

Will be thinking of you on Thursday mate, every time you cast a line he'll be there.
atb fella
Dave

So sorry to hear your lost mate.

He'll be watching every cast you make and every seed you plant.

My thoughts go out to you and your family at this sad time, and i will be thinking of you and thursday.

Not much else i can say really, other than keep your chin up mate.

Sorry to hear of your loss Eddy, sounds like you dad had a hard life early on, the kind few today could comprehend. My thoughts are with you.

ATB

Kev

Very sorry to hear your news and chin up for the funeral.

I lost my dad (best mate) 18 years ago, he was only 55 bless him.

You will never loose the memories.

I will have a wee dram in celebration of dads tomorrow!

Eddie,

Brace up on Thursday, think of the life and love which you enjoyed all your life rather than the empty shell you'll be laying to rest.

We all go, we all have to go.

As your dad would still be proud of you today you can hold your head high and be proud that you served him in the way which he taught you.

You will love him for all time and you mustn't be surprised whenever you think of him in the future and you find yourself crying uncontrollably. I never knew my birth dad but thinking now of the man who raised me from a toddler and whom I thought to be my dad I'm having a right good blub!

Serve his memory well and cherish your memories.

Back