@@@ what off the shelf cal are you using on scottish reds @@@

Bob,

I acquired a rifle specifically for Scottish reds (i live close to the hills in Scotland and do have occasional reds at home).

Tikka T3 30-06 with an ASE moderator. I shoot 125g Federal soft point factory ammo but would happily shoot 150g which is more readily available. A local estate use 125g so i figured they know what they are doing when taking 120 stags a year with this round!

In my opinion a .270 with 150g soft point ammo would be equally suitable and a very comparable set up for Scottish reds. FYI and to mix things up, I have a pal who is a pro stalker who shoots nothing but 25-06 with 100g ballistic tip homeloads.

While it is legal, and as i have voiced on here before, turning up with a. 243 can raise eyebrows but lets not open that can of worms (my other rifle is a .243!).

​.243 is perfectly adequate.

Blaser R93, 22" barrel, 30-06, 180gn soft point, out to 250 yards.
Anything over that distance is left until I am really desperate.

not having shot a deer at 200 yards, would a 243 be up to it as is said on this form so many times over.

.243 is not a proper deer calibre, (not my words, but said by many ?? )

bob.

Its probably one of the most commonly used calibers up here though on reds, I'd say 308, 270 and 243 are used on most estates I've been on or spoken to others about.

i never understood why people say 243 is not up to a red - it easily is - look at NZ where the deer cull personnel were issues 222's and never had an issue from what I hear.

regards,
​Gixer

not having shot a deer at 200 yards, would a 243 be up to it as is said on this form so many times over.

.243 is not a proper deer calibre, (not my words, but said by many ?? )

bob.

.243 is fine, it's all about shot placement.

I could tell you a couple of stories about some of the more colourful Botochs who used stalk up here when I was little with some interesting pieces :D but it might start a forum war so I'll leave it to your imagination.

Regards,

​Snag

:doh: Bob, apologies, as i said i didn't want to get off track and open a can of worms on the .243 chat but hey, it is forum.

Just to expand, i have dropped loads of red deer clean (various shot placements :stir: ) with my .243 up to about 190 yards and it does the job great, if it were my choice i would have a .243 and nothing else but......... Some estates prefer a larger calibre, especially for Stags. It is a shame when you turn up and the stalker asks you to use the estate rifle because (in their opinion, rightly or wrongly) a larger calibre is a wiser choice.

I offer my advice in the context of my experience, in short, it would be foolish to buy a .243 as a scottish red deer rifle.

Because stalking is my hobby and i do it a lot, i used the above as an excuse to treat myself to a 30-06. I actually had some great banter when i went back to an estate this year with my 30-06 and had previously taken my .243 there. I also have the comfort that i will never be questioned about using my own rifle.

Phew, glad i was able to explain that one a bit more.

i never understood why people say 243 is not up to a red - it easily is - look at NZ where the deer cull personnel were issues 222's and never had an issue from what I hear.

regards,
​Gixer

You have to put that into context, the NZ cullers were necking a lot of deer, and humane killing of the deer on the spot did not figure quite as highly with them as it does with us, no criticism just a fact of the conditions they were working under and a sign of the times. I have shot deer with 223 and even hunted boar in NZ with one, but it would not be my first choice. Now days even in NZ a 22cf is considered marginal for deer, a 243 is the recommended starting point on most forums.

While I have shot red stags and rutting Sika with a 243, even dropping Sika on the spot in the rut, I do notice that on average a red stag shot with the 243 seemed to run further even if only 10 yards, were the 270 usually puts them down on the spot.

Just my experience.

ATB

Tahr

Now days even in NZ a 22cf is considered marginal for deer, a 243 is the recommended starting point on most forums

22-250 is one of the most common deer calibres in NZ even now

comes down to culture and shot positioning
huge proportion of NZ deer are shot in the head or as you say in the neck, but more in the head IMO especially hinds

ok lads

I think im going to push him towards a 308 :) as i have found one local that is new and at a good price,

NOW: what mag are you using out to say 200 yards.

thank you

I'm thinking a nice 8x56 schmidt.

ok lads I think im going to push him towards a 308 :) as i have found one local that is new and at a good price, NOW: what mag are you using out to say 200 yards. thank you I'm thinking a nice 8x56 schmidt.
Hi bob I'd say that was about perfect I have that and the 6 x42 and they're both great 8 x56 is on my 7 mm and what I had on my 6.5 can't say I ever felt lacking using it

Hi bob I'd say that was about perfect I have that and the 6 x42 and they're both great 8 x56 is on my 7 mm and what I had on my 6.5 can't say I ever felt lacking using it

cheers jim

Im going to go for it,

the local shop will be there on thursday on out wee range with a tikka t3 in 308, sl5 mod and a s/b 8x56 and a shoot load of ammo so that he can shoot it and see if he likes it,

bob.

cheers jim

Im going to go for it,

the local shop will be there on thursday on out wee range with a tikka t3 in 308, sl5 mod and a s/b 8x56 and a shoot load of ammo so that he can shoot it and see if he likes it,

bob.

Sound like a nice set up. With 8x56 german quality type optics it will be sweeeet, good luck!

.243 100gr spbt steyr mannlicher /pic 1 of 3 shot last wk closest at 75yd one at 90yd then 120yd /if you cant stalk them dont shoot thats my moto
1380393_10202492264290788_998920909_n.jpg

Back