squirrel guns

Taff

Following on from the rifle for scottosh reds thread, which is your favourite rifle for squirrel.Mine are as follows
ruger aw 77/22 M8 6x42 silenced
mossberg M42 bushnell 4x16x40
GSG MP 5 silenced with e o tec

.177 PCP and Bisley Magnums
would love to try the .17M2 on them but don't see enough of them in areas i could use that

This old un did rather well using Winchester subs:-

72429094.jpg

​BSA Super Sport Five with 1978 ASI 3x32 scope. Baited stump provided the quarry.

Squirrel shooting on this patch provided brownie points as the owner and neighbour suffered squirrel problems around the houses and even in the roof. A retired keeper used to bring his poles and poke out the dreys once a year as well.

​For in tree use the Feinwerkbau Sport Model 127 in .22 or a shotgun was used.

For drey shooting a nice light, carry all day, 12g. The Turkish made Weatherby SA-08 Waterfowler 3.0 fits the bill perfectly, weighing in at 6lb 12oz.

General walk and shoot, can't really beat an o/u Hushpower ; you do shoot more with a Hushpower.

Air rifle still has the edge for the fun factor. FWB Sport 127 .22 FAC ... thwack !

View attachment 33589

Its all in the name:

Cooper Arms "Jackson Squirrel Rifle" (JSR):

attachment.php

JSR_zps5e81db7e.jpg

JSR22_zps0cd12429.jpg

Cheers

K

I live right down the road (well, a couple of hundred miles) from Cooper. One of their biggest dealers is in the City. Nice rifles. Does that target say anywhere the distance it was shot at? THere is a big cluck with Coopers at the dealers because the CF rifles have spectacular groups assigned to each rifle but they were only shot at 50M. Your rifle is older. I was wondering if it was marked with a range distance.~Muir

I live right down the road (well, a couple of hundred miles) from Cooper. One of their biggest dealers is in the City. Nice rifles. Does that target say anywhere the distance it was shot at? THere is a big cluck with Coopers at the dealers because the CF rifles have spectacular groups assigned to each rifle but they were only shot at 50M. Your rifle is older. I was wondering if it was marked with a range distance.~Muir

50M. I've also replicated the above group and since fitting a moderator using the same match ammo. Came close too with Lapua sub-sonic hunting ammo.

As for Cooper Arms as an Organization I'm not at all impressed and have the damming e-mail correspondence to back my assertion.

The 22LR action used in the JSR has one very annoying failing in the context of user-friendly in-the-field/woods deployment: There is no mechanism to ensure the bolt lever stays closed and in consequence it will often ‘lift’ just enough when moving through cover to ensure there is just a loud click when squeezing the trigger in anger. Very FRUSTRATING and I should not have to use an “elastic band and nail” to keep it in place!!

So, another good reason to build a custom rifle on a nice old Brno action as they have this problem covered with the ball bearing that sits in a corresponding divit.

Cheers

K

I find the .444 works best for shooting sqizzers in trees but only if I head shoot them. For body shotsI use the .308 for perfect results Dead is dead.

177 hmr over pheasant feed on the ground

agree with deerstalker .308

I NEVER shoot a rifle up into a tree:eek:

Can't wait for the HMR comments.

Theyre super accurate/mega flat/really dangerous/poor quality/for people who can't shoot a .22lr/accurate to 400m:D

so, you do shoot into tree tops, but with a backstop?

I’m only answering this as I wish to get in ahead of the padlock:

When did I mention shooting UP into trees with or without a backstop??

That I have chosen to attempt enthusing this thread with a feel for what hunting the noblest of quarry has to offer the Disciple of the Grooved Bore c/o a self portrait should be seen as that and no more. After all where would one expect to see Ol’ Flickertail if not in the canopy of some Autumn-hued beech or even “false acacia”?

I am on record as confirming hunting squirrel with a rimfire in the UK necessitates forgoing a heavy percentage of shots that the American grey offers but given my passion for hunting may be traced to the work of US author Charles Landis and his seminal work, “Hunting With The Twenty-Two, I’ll happily see every squirrel I take SAFELY in the UK with my preferred .22 rimfire as one less I’ll need to account for if I make it to heaven. I love no sport with a rifle greater.

As for the implied shortcomings in my approach to safety, I would have you know I've no less desire than you to ensure a missed, out on an elevated limb squirrel, doesn’t equate to a lump of warm lead landing in Sevenoaks but that doesn’t mean I cannot shoot squirrels from or against trees when I have the good fortune to hunt the Greensand Ridge where undulating terrain means I may oft’ be above timber and with more than adequate backstop.

“God does not take from Man time spent hunting squirrel with a rifle.” He also doesn’t care if that is in the UK.

Goodnight!

K
IMG_2912_zps9295d2ec.jpg

Back