Does anyone use blue loctite on their scope rings or rifle parts?

stratts

Just wondering if anyone uses loctite on their rifles or scope mounts as added security against movement, etc? I mean the blue one that does not set, not the red one?

Or should it not be necessary if everything is done correctly?

Stratts

I use loctite243 on my mounts and action screws. not sure if its right thing to do but not hade one work loose.

Never needed any, once the scope is on in the right place.

Just make sure they are firm, never had one work loose but have probably left loose after tinkering around

I was told to use new allen bolts which seemed quite a cost but over the last 10yrs it has remained in place faultlessly

I never used to but after a recent incident with a Tikka 30-06 trigger assembly coming loose and the fact that Tikka triggers are only held in by one cap head bolt I now use loctite on that as I had an accidental discharge due to the trigger assembly being loose, which was not nice!

Regards,

Gixer

never done it , shouldn't be required with quality mounts unless it's a shoulder cannon?

screws are too small and I have snapped the tip off a torx key that on mounts that someone else had loctited
should't be required with good screws and mounts IMO

I never used to but after a recent incident with a Tikka 30-06 trigger assembly coming loose and the fact that Tikka triggers are only held in by one cap head bolt I now use loctite on that as I had an accidental discharge due to the trigger assembly being loose, which was not nice!

Regards,

Gixer

That sounds like a fix for a poor design.

Nope I just clean and screw them as tight as I need. Not had a problem as yet over the years.

I quite like using locktite...as it opens much easier than rusted screws. Where there is loctite water does not go.
Stainless on stainless gals less with loctite between.
When tightening a screw with a certain loctite product one knows ahead what kind of torque will be needed to open again...if not then one has not checked data sheets etc....
with a rusted or galled screw nobody can predict opening torque.

Had sako mounts work loose on regular basis, very surprised it doesn't happen with more people!
including action bolt on my sako .270 and as mentioned causes a N.D. when loading! :confused:

If I remember right the plastic rings of Sako mounts are made of Nylon.
Nylon has somewhere around 2% water content at normal temp and moisture. In ultra dry climates the material can dry out somewhat and shrink. In very moist conditions it can take up more water and expand. Changing volume can lead to screws becoming loose. Nylon with lower water content will be more brittle.
Loosening of lower screws on Sako mounts of course have a different reason.
edi

For the rifles I use Loctite 222 "Loctite 222 Low strength, general purpose Threadlocker, Breakaway torque 6Nm."
Works fine and can be undone.

One the trucks I use Loctite 248 Medium strength Threadlocker, Medium strength, Breakaway torque M10 bolts 17Nm.
Also ok and bolts can be undone

I'd NOT USE 243 since "Loctite 243 medium strength threadlocker, suitable for all metal threaded assemblies, Breakaway torque 26Nm"

I'd expect 243 to be a right pain to undo and would need heating.

I use 243 on motorbike fastenings, but be aware it should not come into contact with plastics. This could be an issue if nylon washers are in the vicinity.

Back