Mike Robinson's Wild Kitchen

Olaf

I just watched a youtube episode (part 1 of fallow stalking) by this Mike Robinson (Wild Kitchen) who has his wild cooking adverts up all over the SD. I think his programs are very good and as for his cooking that's also something I'd take my hat off too. However, in this particular instalment his friend shoots a Fallow Pricket, in the head, off some sticks, in a field of wheat, with only its head showing; at 210 Meters and they actually start bragging about what a great shot it was ?
Not exactly cricket is it.........
http://r5---sn-cn3tc-ciml.c.youtube.com/videoplayback?app=youtube_gdata&devkey=AX8iKz393pCCMUL6wqrPOZoO88HsQjpE1a8d1GxQnGDm&el=videos&upn=2a3XNYO7jCA&uaopt=no-save&source=youtube&itag=18&id=1dfc2712e8a151b1&ip=176.254.218.132&ipbits=0&expire=1382229806&sparams=expire,id,ip,ipbits,itag,source,uaopt,upn&signature=5B8C189391FCBB714B4B420DF8C3F0633B3C9D86.4BCE401841F015F1A5BE2D04D42EABFB2071CC12&key=cms1&cms_redirect=yes&ms=au&mt=1382200916&mv=m

Last edited:
Not too sure about his friend searching the woods for deer through his rifle scope either. Has he not got a pair of binoculars? However, despite what people think of head shooting deer he did make a very good job of it.

It was a cracking shot off 2 sticks.

I would never do it, I hate the thought of loosing a deer and it mumping round the woods with its jaw shot off till it dies cos I was trying to be a clever dick.

remember mike said he was a very good shot .i do not think mike would have allow his friend to shoot it if he was not totally positive he would kill it cleanly, especially in front off the camera .sure 210 meters is a long way but his friends probably has done a lot off shooting and if he is confident in his equipment why not.
it was mike who was commenting on the shot not his friend he just shrugged it off as being lucky but by the way he calmly shot at the deer off the sticks that was not luck he knew what he was doing

.i do not think mike would have allow his friend to shoot it if he was not totally positive he would kill it cleanly, especially in front off the camera .

I am not getting in to a debate about head shots, generally not for me. But mistakes happen and you mention he would not let him do it in front of the camera, do you actually think they would have broadcast it if it had gone wrong? Its not broadcast live!

Im sure his mate has done that more than a few times in his life. Great shot by an accomplished marksman
Atb steve

The way I saw it was a cooking programme promoting wild food and gathering (as well as isuzu). It was not a dsc video. I too shuddered at him lifting the rifle to use in the place of binoculars but I wasn't there so couldn't tell you whether it was loaded or not.

I too have seen Alan shoot, he would not take the shot unless he was confident.

​As for blowing the jaw off thats hard to do when the deer is looking at you.

Yes I agree, I'm sure he is a keen shot, however, such shots do not hold a high margin of error and thus should not be encouraged or considered normal. The person who takes the shot even refers to it as having been a "lucky shot".
Under certain conditions long range head shots, or neck shots, may be sometimes required, I have no problem with this. My point is that this particular clip is a rather pathetic example of such an occasion, thus, I was surprised to see such techniques being employed in what appears to be a very routine manner.
http://r5---sn-cn3tc-ciml.c.youtube.com/videoplayback?app=youtube_gdata&devkey=AX8iKz393pCCMUL6wqrPOZoO88HsQjpE1a8d1GxQnGDm&el=videos&upn=iGqDsAlhdvM&uaopt=no-save&source=youtube&itag=18&id=1dfc2712e8a151b1&ip=176.254.218.132&ipbits=0&expire=1382366059&sparams=expire,id,ip,ipbits,itag,source,uaopt,upn&signature=0D5AA8BFFB115A91B7D9FC9C902F7DB9FBA1D340.0D155D24D828234186D014CAA6E78C8AD5D59E2A&key=cms1&cms_redirect=yes&ms=au&mt=1382337208&mv=m
I think that many people will watch this and think that 200M head shots, taken off sticks, are something to strive towards, as oppose to learning how to actually stalk deer.

Kind regards, Olaf

Last edited:
Not exactly a cricket match is it .................................

Bet you wear a deerstalker and plus fours. Newsflash - the empire has long gone.:p

Ha ha ! I like it :)
No, I wear moderrn and practical clothes, went to a state funded school, and am not the sort of person that you seem to have mistaken me for.

Kind regards, Olaf

Not exactly a cricket match is it .................................

Bet you wear a deerstalker and plus fours. Newsflash - the empire has long gone.:p

Ha ha ! I like it :)
No, I wear moderrn and practical clothes, went to a state funded school, and am not the sort of person that you seem to have mistaken me for.

Kind regards, Olaf

I also watched this and was a bit surprised, after all it doesn't matter how marvellous a shot you are if the target moves you won't hit what you aimed for unless you're a lucky bu&&er. I think blowing the jaw off was just used as a typical example of what can happen, there's nothing to stop it turning its head at the last moment.
Also must have been incredibly tall wheat to come up to a fallows head :D.

I quite like the few shows he has done on the youtube channel. It's amazing how much people are willing to pay for venison too judging by his game website, especially the humble muntie!!! :eek:

Back to Alan though, it was still a blimming good shot and how quick he got on it too!!

Having watch this video I'm not convinced the welfare of the deer was the primary objective.
We have a great responsibility to ensure what we shoot it killed humanely with the least probability of causing an animal uunnecessary suffering.
​Whilst a lot of us can shoot like this not all of us will........unless its at paper

Back