tweed suit

david1976

Having been invited to a few shoots this season, I need to invest in something reasonably smart to wear so I don't look like a lurcher-man that's turned up at the wrong event!

Looking for tweeds - plus twos, cap, waistcoat and jacket (preferably the thinner blazer type ones).

Anyone recommend me a reasonably cheap option for the above? Looking to spend around £200 max if possible.

Have looked at Hoggs however they don't do plus twos and the jackets are the heavier duty ones.

Cheers

David

ps on the off chance someone has the right size breeks need to be a 30/32", coat 40" and hat 57

Buy some decent plus two's with your £200 (any make) then just wear a shooting/stalking/country jacket (no realtree!).

In my experience no-one will care what outfit you have on a driven day long as you are safe with your gun and take some good friendly banter.

Sportsmanguncentre is always a good place for a bargain in their clearance section bazil

The tailor who was on the stand with Nomad at the fair in March is based in Clovenfords and does made to measure. Ill try and find his name for you...

A smart pair of breeks, shirt and tie plus shooting jacket, job done.
Add a sweater if it's cold, there you go.

I think it's nice to look smart, but do you really need a suit ?

Having been invited to a few shoots this season, I need to invest in something reasonably smart to wear so I don't look like a lurcher-man that's turned up at the wrong event!

Looking for tweeds - plus twos, cap, waistcoat and jacket (preferably the thinner blazer type ones).

Anyone recommend me a reasonably cheap option for the above? Looking to spend around £200 max if possible.

Have looked at Hoggs however they don't do plus twos and the jackets are the heavier duty ones.

Cheers

David

ps on the off chance someone has the right size breeks need to be a 30/32", coat 40" and hat 57

I would rather stand next to a lurcher man in old tatty clothes who is a safe shot, than a tweedy toff who feels he is to high up in society to speak with a lowly beater, but who is unsafe. And I have seen plenty of the latter! ;)
What I am trying to say is don't worry too much about your clothes, just turn up with a good sense of humour and show safe and sporty conduct, and you'll be fine.
Have a great day!

You could try Cudworth of Norden. Had a pair of their breeks this last decade or more and don't need another yet. Their heavy duty cords are nearly indestructible. And competitively priced too.

I would rather stand next to a lurcher man in old tatty clothes who is a safe shot, than a tweedy toff who feels he is to high up in society to speak with a lowly beater, but who is unsafe. And I have seen plenty of the latter! ;)
What I am trying to say is don't worry too much about your clothes, just turn up with a good sense of humour and show safe and sporty conduct, and you'll be fine.
Have a great day!
True but jeans and a hoody is a no no a tie at the very least and a big tip for the keeper :D
​enjoy

I would go with a pair o tweeds and a waistcoat myself, then any kind of decent jacket on top when needed, pretty good shop that, ranging from lower priced to whatever you want to pay.
Stewart Christie Co Ltd
​George.

Get yerslef into Mains at Haddington. He`ll sort you out bud. He carries Pheonix tweeds , braw kit at good prices.

Last edited:
Always had mine made to measure by a fine local tailor and they have always worked out cheaper than off the peg and that is with my own choice of tweed.

Back