***Amazon..................for scopes. ? ***

Nope, but then again they won't sell outside of the US, looked into this before and doesn't look like anything has changed, unless of course you are going over there?
Cheers
​Richard

Bob

If they will ship to the UK - and most won't - it'll work out at over £1000...

You need to add P&P, then 4.7% to that total for Import Duty, then 20% to that total for VAT...

A chunk more expensive than the Swaro 6-18x50 that Eyefor has/had - not sure if he still has it

I looked into this when buying a new Sightron, and it was only 3.5% more expensive to buy from AIM Field Sports in the UK, so that's what I did.

Heads-up
For anything more powerful than x12, you need an Export Licence to ship out of the UK back to the US, so if you have a warranty issue, you are FUBAR... Another reason to buy in the UK

Bob

You need to add P&P, then 4.7% to that total for Import Duty, then 20% to that total for VAT...

A chunk more expensive than the Swaro 6-18x50 that Eyefor has/had - not sure if he still has it

I looked into this when buying a new Sightron, and it was only 3.5% more expensive to buy from AIM Field Sports in the UK, so that's what I did.

Heads-up
For anything more powerful than x12, you need an Export Licence to ship out of the UK back to the US, so if you have a warranty issue, you are FUBAR... Another reason to buy in the UK

cheers ian

I had a look at 4scopes too and they said the same thing ? (well along the same lines etc.)

bob.

cheers ian

I had a look at 4scopes too and they said the same thing ? (well along the same lines etc.)

bob.

That was where I was about to buy from. $/£ looks great, but then you add all the stealth taxes and s*d all warranty, and you start to think just how much it could cost you to save a bit up front

Cheers
iain

I bought my Sightron from 4Scopes and collected it from friends in the US, worked out about £350 cheaper than buying it here. Even buying it from the UK using the formula shown above it still works out around £150 cheaper. As for returning scopes for warranty repairs I've been told it isn't a problem as the export permit is only required if you're selling a scope.

EDIT

Just checked with a friend who had to ship a Leupold back to a dealer in the US, he had no problems and pointed me to the Leupold website,

[h=3]"Import/Export Licensing Requirements[/h]
  • Customers located in the following countries may return riflescopes to the product service facility in their country or the Leupold factory WITHOUT import/export licensing requirements:AUSTRALIA, BELGIUM, DENMARK, FRANCE, GERMANY, GREECE, ICELAND, ITALY, JAPAN, LUXEMBOURG, NETHERLANDS, NEW ZEALAND, NORWAY, NEW CALEDONIA, PORTUGAL, SCOTLAND, SPAIN, TURKEY, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM"

Last edited:
I bought my Sightron from 4Scopes and collected it from friends in the US, worked out about £350 cheaper than buying it here. Even buying it from the UK using the formula shown above it still works out around £150 cheaper. As for returning scopes for warranty repairs I've been told it isn't a problem as the export permit is only required if you're selling a scope.

I can only talk from my experience obviously, and using these calcs it cost me £30.82 more from Aim... The Warranty thing has come from 3 different sources, so not sure what to say.

Either way, I guess we're both happy with what we've ended up with

Bob

Am I missing something then?

$1149 = £711
shipping something like that call it $100 $1250 = £773

even if you add 25% to that (which is more than I would expect) and £8 handling for the thieves in customs you are looking at £966

cant see a similar product on sale over here but nothing on that range under a grand or even £1500

Am I missing something then?

$1149 = £711
shipping something like that call it $100 $1250 = £773

even if you add 25% to that (which is more than I would expect) and £8 handling for the thieves in customs you are looking at £966

cant see a similar product on sale over here but nothing on that range under a grand or even £1500

Absolutely correct, I double counted P&P from the s/sheet I used for my Sightron:

$1,149.99
$68.00 (scope4 shipping costs to UK
$1,217.99
$57.25 Import Duty @ 4.7%
$1,275.24
$255.05 VAT @ 20%
$1,530.28 = £956.43

Calculate your import duty in a few quick steps for free | DutyCalculator

Apologies
iain

i started to look at prices over there when i was looking for a swaro with the tds reticle.

the cost of a second hand one here is not that far from some prices in the states for new good quality zeiss scopes,

but there you go.

can't do anything until either the 243 or the zeiss sells anyway.

bob.

i started to look at prices over there when i was looking for a swaro with the tds reticle.

the cost of a second hand one here is not that far from some prices in the states for new good quality zeiss scopes,

but there you go.

can't do anything until either the 243 or the zeiss sells anyway.

bob.

I'm in a different position, as I had cash in my pocket, I knew precisely what I wanted and the UK price was within a gnat's bits of the US import price...

John at Aim cut me a deal to get that little bit closer, with the surety of a UK-backed warranty.

Given that the postman decided to "bounce test" the f*cking scope on my doorstep the day after I ordered it, I opened it knowing that it was at worst a 2:45 hour drive back to Cheshire!

I'm in a different position, as I had cash in my pocket, I knew precisely what I wanted and the UK price was within a gnat's bits of the US import price...

John at Aim cut me a deal to get that little bit closer, with the surety of a UK-backed warranty.

Given that the postman decided to "bounce test" the f*cking scope on my doorstep the day after I ordered it, I opened it knowing that it was at worst a 2:45 hour drive back to Cheshire!

cheers Ian

I know what you mean.

I have a very tight budget nower days (but lets not go into that here) and thanks to a good member of this forum i stand a chance of getting sorted, i may not get what i want but ill be very happy with what i may have in the end.

bob.

Back