Is pig sticking legal in the uk?

yetidude69

Just wondering if anyones eva been pig sticking? Didi it in New zealand and now home wondered if any ones heard bout any here?
cheers James

Just googled it and found this:
http://www.statemaster.com/encyclopedia/Pigsticking
It would appear that it was a favourite pastime of Lord Baden Powell! :eek: Better than 'sticking' cubs and scouts I suppose? :lol:
It appears to been more of a British pastime in India? Seeing as Boar have been effectively 'missing' from the UK during this time (or the last 300 years or so) I would assume it was never practised here. If that is the case, it has probably never made illegal and must therefore be legal! :confused:
I'd love to see the reaction from the hunting antis if such an event was organised and they couldn't legally stop it! I'm not saying I would support it either though as it does look a bit barbaric. I'd rather shoot them personally 8)

I have done quite a bit out in Australia. Very effective way to catch pigs as they can be hard to see and shoot in undergrowth

Here i would imagine that you would fall foul of the hunting with dogs act rather than a specific law regarding using a knife. People routinely use a knife to administer the coup de grace on deer.

I think (dont quote me on this) that you can only use dogs, 2 or less, to flush animals to be shot as quickly as possible by a 'competant' marksman.

You might be ok to use bailing dogs and than shoot the bailed pig?

If it was legal and there were pigs near me i would definately be importing some dogs from my mate in Aus

Dan

Hi,
A german Berufsjäger was filmed "might be on youtube?" he dug a shallow pit next to a bait and covered himself with a cloth to minimise scent plus covered the whole shebang with twigs and waited there with a Saufeder (translates as a pig spring) but is actually a short spear.
It was an effective method but he lost his Jagdschein over it.
Martin

'pigsticking' here as a form of hunting where dogs corner the beast an you go in for the kill would be illegal on two fronts. Firstly the hunting with dogs laws currently apply and also the general wildlife and countryside act in terms of cruelty and using the knife on a wild animal.

Despatching a wounded animal to prevent distress on the otherhand is a different matter.

These legislators are real spoilsports :cry:

I would pay good money to see Wayne running round a field waving his knife at the porkers on a full moon

The residents of Hertfordshire would that the Werewolf had risen again :lol:

legaleagle69 said:
The residents of Hertfordshire would that the Werewolf had risen again :lol:

"Hertfordshire"? If you come over for the next social you wont be in the right county. As for Werewolves rising again they pop up over here all the time. It's so frequent that if you are in the right post code they are automatically put on your ticket by West Mercia. [/i]

Pig Sticking In France

Ref pig sticking

If you really want to do this i can arrange it on a private estate in the south of France.

Its good for sorting the men from the boys and really does make your adrenalin run, but not for the faint hearted.

It the traditional way of hunting boar and the boar does have a good chance of getting even !

Point of order

I believe there is a certain amount of confussion in this thread
Baden Powell was into pigsticking, this is from horse back, a mounted guy with a pig sticking spear rides like hell after the pig and trys to stick it from horse back
Refer to the khadir cup in india also i think polo was invented as training for this sport.
The other pig sticking is using a pack of hounds or a few "big dogs" to bay the boar while the young tyro jumps in to stick it.
If any one would care to invite me along I will give it a try.
Hope this helps

Quite right. Pig sticking was a pastime of the Army officers stationed in India in the 18th and 19th centuries and was essentially the spearing of wild pigs from horseback and I'm not sure that any dogs were involved.

Hunting certain species of mammals with dogs in currently banned in this country other than using up to two dogs to flush animals in order to be shot by marksmen. Contrary to common perception not all hunting is banned, it's still OK to hunt rats and rabbits with a pack of hounds should you want to.

I'm not sure of the exact the wording of the law by I think it protects all mammal species and then provides for exceptions like rabbits in which case hunting boar with more than two dogs would not be legal.

Get those guns sat round the woods and i'll let the Kopov loose. You only need one dog for that. Something for the future. Have got the pets passport for the Kopov now ;)

trying to kill a pig with any type of spear could be deemed as inhumane if it would be unlikely to cause instantanious death and would then leave you open to prosecution by the rspca for cusing unneccesary suffering or cruelty

Never mind spears and knives......

Not so very long ago I was in France with some Gurkha's who had a bit of time on their hands. The training area was absolutely crawling with wild Boar, and, as usual, Johnny was keen for a bit of fresh meat in his diet. A suitable 'huffalump trap' was quickly dug and covered in branches, and some bacon and beans were used to tempt Mr piggy onto it. Next morning, success, and one angry boar was confined within the pit....whereupon one of the Gurkhas jumped into the pit and ****ted it on the head with a sledgehammer!:eek:

Pig sticking was a sport in India long before the British arrived and there are records of it being done in the middle ages. The starting of the season was "dashmi" festival which is in approx end sept/beginning of oct. This was the most popular form of shikar.

Polo was invented in india but not as a practice sport for pig sticking. I think you have it confused with tent pegging which was invented for this purpose. British on coming to India took a real shine to pig sticking and the famous tournaments were muttra cup and khadir cup.

The basic rules of the game was to ride into the grassland and try to spear a wild pig. The person who drew first blood (in case one pig was killed) , or the one who speared the heaviest boar (in case more than one boars were killed) was declared the winner.
Sounds easy ......but believe me guys , this was the most difficult way to hunt the Indian Wild Boar. An animal known for it's fearless nature. Not an easy prey at all and not one to go down without a fight. There were times when men and mount were killed or badly injured facing the charge of an injured boar. One needs to be an excellent rider and nerves of steel.
pig sticking also requires split second timing. unlike a tent peg which comes out uprooted, a pig shoulder doesnt.
the momentum of the horse and rider brought to sudden stop by the pigs body can snap a wrist in two.

"You who sit at home will naturally condemn it. But again I say, like the drunkard to the parson, try it before you judge.

See how the horse enjoys it, see how the boar himself, mad with rage, rushes wholeheartedly into the scrap, see how you, with your temper thoroughly roused, enjoy the opportunity of wreaking it to the full

Yes, hog-hunting is a brutal sport--and yet I loved it, as I loved also the fine old fellow I fought against. I cannot pretend that I am not inconsistent. But are many of us entirely consistent ? Do what we will and say what we like, although we have a veneer of civilisation, the primitive man's instincts are still not far below the surface. Murder will out. Did we not see it in all its horridness in the War ?

But apparently the Churches recognised the fact; at any rate one does not remember that they made any attempt to stop us killing our fellow-men, our fellow-Christians.

Until we get our education upon a more spiritual foundation instead of being content with mere academical scholarship, more of character training than standard of knowledge, we shell only have the veneer."

Badden Powel

pig sticking has a small following in the usa!

no dogs. no horses ,just you and a spear, sounds like a lot of fun!

Back