Eating fox and other roadkill....

teabag_46

The cooking section on "This morning" will be discussing eating foxes (and other roadkill).

I have never even considered eating fox before, so it might be worth watching later on the ITV player.

Anyone else ever eaten fox?

Never tried it myself and I am led to believe that they really are not pleasant to eat, come to that they even stink when you try to skin them!
I personally would not even considder eating "road kill" anyhow!
I know I'm getting a bit long in the tooth but I do still have teeth, and if I loose them I will put my food through a liquidiser rather than relying on motors to mash it up for me!:old:

Oddly enough I read a post from someone on one of the shooting forums over here recently where he had tried fox. It seems that it helps if remove all the fat and marinade the meat in buttermilk for 24 hours before cooking.

I took my mate out foxing one night , shot one , he said what a lovely animal , can i get it mounted , aye no prob , collected it next day frm his house , back leg missing , you guessed it ! It apparently was like beef but a bit stringy ,

i can confirm that fox is truly terrible as is badger :confused: when we were younger and frenetic about shooting we tried nearly everything we shot (brock was road kill) fox tastes the same as it smells when you are skinning it, badger is just absolutely the worst thing i have ever put in my mouth

This has been done a few times iirc was a guy a few years back cooked a road kill meal for a pub....The enviromental health condemed pretty much everything he had on table to cook so they ended up eating pheasants :rolleyes:

Cant say Id ever try it...but then I dont eat squirrels either...I go in a lot of squirrel infested lofts with my job and frankly anything that smells that bad it off the menu

I did try hedgehog once.
Let's say it will be the first and last time.
No way in the world would I eat something off the side of the road.

If we are hungry enough , supposedly we eat anything feasible. Fox not sure about , I know a Mongolian chap that eats seagulls & rooks , his wife made a meal for us . I have to say it was good , once prepared & dud not vary much from any other bird of its type.
Anything else , I would see a French menu, as them dirty burgers eat anything ! :eek:

There was a friend of a friend in Lincoln who was doing a 52 meats in 52 weeks challenge. I provided him with all manner of game. After a productive nights lambing I dropped a big dog fox, which had been raiding a small holders poultry.

He asked for the strip loin, which I gladly gave him. Apparently he served it as a curry for his Valentines meal with his girlfriend! And amazingly he is still with her...tasted like beef he said. the smell when skinning was enough to pt me off though.

I cannot believe people are serious about eating roadkill , you would need to be mad to even consider it . The health implications are horrendous , the best you find will only be dog food , all the certification to ensure meat & game going into the human food chain is of the finest quality is wasted if you start dragging dead animals of the side of the road for sunday lunch ...

I cannot believe people are serious about eating roadkill , you would need to be mad to even consider it . The health implications are horrendous , the best you find will only be dog food , all the certification to ensure meat & game going into the human food chain is of the finest quality is wasted if you start dragging dead animals of the side of the road for sunday lunch ...

Can't see a problem with it myself. We often eat pheasant, hare and rabbit off the road. If it's fresh killed then it's no different from one that's just been shot. Shame to see so much stuff going to waste. Would draw the line at foxes and badgers though...

Can't see a problem with it myself. We often eat pheasant, hare and rabbit off the road. If it's fresh killed then it's no different from one that's just been shot. Shame to see so much stuff going to waste. Would draw the line at foxes and badgers though...

Fresh is when you have just killed it ...if you havn't seen it killed how do you know its fresh ? I prefer my gun to some one else's transit van to do fresh

Back