GIANT DEER !

I've seen one! :D

Well the skeleton anyway. One of the senior BDS members down here had an extensive private collection of heads ancient and modern.

i think they have a skeleton of one in liverpool museum...

i think i remember seeing it labled as an irish elk

and if i remember from a school outing they dragged it out of a peat bog!!

im going to go and have a look and see if ive just made all that up!

Looking at the size of the photo's on Pheasant sniper put on his recent post , I think a few of these still exist on Malc's lease ! :D

Irish Elk

They have found these skeletons in Scotland too. A few turn up in peat bogs and are found when peat is extracted for fuel or compost. I think as this activity is now being stopped due to its environmental impact less will be found in future. There are two heads in the tearoom of the wildlife park near Avimore.

The Irish Elk was not an Elk however but a relative of the Fallow.

David

Two sets of Megaloceros antlers owned by Kenneth Whitehead were sold in 2005 when his vast collection was broken up after being left to Durham University in his will. One lot made £60,000, the other £72,000. That must have bought alot of copies of the Guardian for the common rooms and Jesus boots and beard trimmers for the staff! Apparantly Kenneths relatives gave the sale their blessing as he had said that the University could use the items in any way they saw fit including flogging them. JC

cookingfat said:
might need a bigger blood tray and maybe a bigger truck :D

Anthony

Nah
just a stronger roof rack should do it

elk.jpg

see it works :lol: :lol:

One of Kenneth Whiteheads Megalocerus came from Co. Wicklow, ROI after I put him in touch with the late Andy Morrison of Bray.
That head adorned one wall of Andys sunlounge and I believe originated from the Powerscourt Estate.

I have an old photo somewhere of Andy standing below another Megalocerous head above the fireplace at the home of Franz Waldberg.

HWH.

stag1933 said:
One of Kenneth Whiteheads Megalocerus came from Co. Wicklow, ROI after I put him in touch with the late Andy Morrison of Bray.
That head adorned one wall of Andys sunlounge and I believe originated from the Powerscourt Estate.

I have an old photo somewhere of Andy standing below another Megalocerous head above the fireplace at the home of Franz Waldberg.

HWH.

please post that pic H .there was a few found in meath not to long ago durning road works,i should be so lucky.

Hi IG.
After reading your post this morning I noticed that my senile decay and hot toddy had affected my brain last night.
I called my old friend ANDY MORRISSEY Andy Morrison ! [ I use Morrisons supermarket here a lot and must be brain-washed. ]
He would not have been amused !

I will have a look for that pic.

HWH.

Send for these laddies , members of the ` Swedish Moose Draggers Association ` , I was lucky that day and excused duties because of disc trouble.

HWH.
DSC_0017.jpg

Giant Deer

There are three full sized skeletons with antlers in the National History Museem in Dublin, they are some size.

wicklow202

i have noticed this condition over the years ,H .

once the trigger is pulled every one has a bad back all of a sudden.

Aye, it was a trouble I became infected with in your part of the world !
Usually the Ardbrae lads split into two groups to hunt the mountains, if we heard a shot we became afflicted and took off in the opposite direction in case Bill M had shot a monster on a bad drag.
Liam was a past master of this art.
It was easier with Joe N as most of his forest culling was done out of the motor window. I have not heard from Carmel or Joe for a long time, has the brandy and fags finally taken their toll ?
`09 was one of the few years I have not come over for the Sika since 1972 , having lost my driving licence has screwed up my life to a large degree.

HWH.

stag1933 said:
Aye, it was a trouble I became infected with in your part of the world !
Usually the Ardbrae lads split into two groups to hunt the mountains, if we heard a shot we became afflicted and took off in the opposite direction in case Bill M had shot a monster on a bad drag.
Liam was a past master of this art.
It was easier with Joe N as most of his forest culling was done out of the motor window. I have not heard from Carmel or Joe for a long time, has the brandy and fags finally taken their toll ?
`09 was one of the few years I have not come over for the Sika since 1972 , having lost my driving licence has screwed up my life to a large degree.

HWH.

we were culling yesterday one of the guys dragged 6 sika down hill at the one time. show off and he is 60.

joe is off the beer and brandy ,only wine now.
i have not been talking to for some time.

its a wet suit you would want on ya at the min ,not a swazi.

Back