Is 308 becoming the new 6.5x55?

Wills

Dear all,

I have noticed in the shooting press that there seems to be a growing presence of .308, prior to this it was 6.5.
Is this a trend thing?

​Your use thoughts please

No for me the 6.5 is the new 308 had that after the 308 and to be honest it gets 80% of the stalking .
​norma

All you need to do it look at the variety of rifles, ammunition and components available for each and you see the reason why. When you want to shoot cheap, you shoot 308. Here we have large quantities of surplus 308 brass and thirty caliber bullets can be picked up at Wal Mart. Sierra 30 cal 165 grain Game Kings are $30/100. Sierra 264 cal 140 grain Game Kings atr $39/100. Three-oh-eight rifles are found everywhere here, not so 6.5x55. You need to special order one of these. US manufacturers seldom make a run of 6.5x55. Not sure the ever-popular Remington ever made one.

If the 308 is more popular than the 6.5x55 it's not because of any outstanding ballistic advantage. JMHO.~Muir

At normal stalking ranges up to 300m the 308 is the far better deer cartridge.
Makes a bigger hole and gets animal down better with less powder in a shorter cartridge.
Said this before...if deer could shoot back also the northern countries would ditch the 6.5 in favour of a 30cal. 308/30-06.
edi

At normal stalking ranges up to 300m the 308 is the far better deer cartridge.
Makes a bigger hole and gets animal down better with less powder in a shorter cartridge.
Said this before...if deer could shoot back also the northern countries would ditch the 6.5 in favour of a 30cal. 308/30-06.
edi

I have all three. I use the 30-06 and 6.5x55 far more than the 308 but it's all about what you like and your abilities. I put them both into the same class.~Muir

edi

Why do you need a bigger hole?
Of the deer I've shot with my 6.5x55 the furthest one got before it collapsed was 40yds.
If your a decent shot and can consistantly place the shot in the kill zone then you don't get any deader than dead.

Also how can the .308 be the next 6.5x55 if it's already been out selling it for years:-|

Ed

All this serves to illustrate is the fact that shooting journalists really have very little to write about.

Re-phrase this into something everyday, and it becomes even more obvious how fatuous the commentary is:

"Baked beans on toast the next foie-gras on brioche'; 'Coffee granules the next artisan, single estate roast'... etc

never owned a 308 as i havent the need to. but what s not to like about them. they can be had cheap. lots of factory ammo about for them and will drop anything in this country ​easy. also very good barrel life

[QUOTE
1. .243
2. .308
3. 6.5x55mm
4. .270[/QUOTE]

In my country it's almost the same with one exception;
1. .243
2. 6.5x55 and growing in popularity every year, will be nr. 1 very soon.
3. .308
4. .270

personally I like my .260 and 30-06 !

Last edited:
Performance wise I think you would be hard pressed to know the difference both excellent deer calibres

Back