sporting rifle dec 09

irishgun

page 41 .

a CWD gold medal head shot .
pic of client with a styer bolt closed and safey off .

am i getting to old or what .

Never had or never seen a N.D. IN A rifle, because i aways have the bolt open when stalking is finnished, if there are other people with rifles with me i insist there bolts are open too.

went on a shotgun/rifle first aid course with Barry Holt from Peptworth a few years ago and he was telling me about an N.D. one of his client's had when the rifle went off in one of there high seats going through the side wall and on into another high seat which someone was in.

The point i am trying to make is, AN OPEN BOLT IS A SAFE RIFLE

I haven't looked at the mag yet.

Anthony

Had one at a clay pigeon event 30 years or so ago. I was trying a Miroku which was going ok until I pulled on the second bird and nothing happened. That is untill I was removing the gun from my shoulder and it went off. Never fired it again and have never shot a Miroku since. In addition I did see the consequences of another AD when I got in a car to go shooting and noticed a large hole in the fascia. Someone had got in without making safe a shotgun and BANG. I am not anal about it, but an open bolt does seem as sensible as a broken shotgun.

Forgive my ignorance if this is a silly question, but why would you head shoot a Gold Medal CWD? Wouldn't you risk spoiling the trophy?

Quercus said:
Forgive my ignorance if this is a silly question, but why would you head shoot a Gold Medal CWD? Wouldn't you risk spoiling the trophy?

As he shot the beast it turned it's head to the blind side to clean it's self and the bullet exited and went through the head. Just unlucky I guess

Another reason why i refuse to buy the Toilet paper of a rag - i blame the editor! (can anyone remember who that is - its not mentioned much!!)

Irish

No you are not getting old. I totally agree with you.

Open bolt always always and I think someone referred to an AD - there is no such thing as an AD but only an ND.

Also I haven't bought that mag for ages. It is just too much of a comic these days.

Cheers

JB

I let me subscription lapse about 6months ago due to how bad the magazine has got and Carr's continual bullshitting/self promotion.
I now get reminders in the post every week or so - i did call subscription and explained that i would never buy another copy whilst he was editor and a major contributor.
They didn't seem surprised.

Is it just me who couldn't see an entry or exit in the boiler room area, but only some obvious damage to the head?

Maybe they are still smarting from all the correspondence they got over Mike Dickinson head shooting reds and decided to 'tweak' the story a little!?!?!

Novice

So none of you ever go into a Gun Shop then?

All rifles with bolts in, closed.......

I can't see how stalking with a companion with your bolt open makes it any safer! He can still choose to kill you.

Stan

All the shotguns are closed as well :eek:

Always when finished on a range or stalking mag off bolt out in holder on my belt. People are not nervous when they can see there is not bolt in the action.
Most range shooting you will be told to remove your bolt or put in your flag before you leave the point after being checked clear.
No ND without a bolt

smullery said:
So none of you ever go into a Gun Shop then?

All rifles with bolts in, closed.......

I can't see how stalking with a companion with your bolt open makes it any safer! He can still choose to kill you.

Stan

stan
very true, if i am out stalking with a mate my rifle is loaded and bolt closed, and if he chooses to shoot me he could, but when we have finnished stalking, bolt open just in case we have left one up the spout and forgot about it, and if one of us get's shot then it would be an avoidable accident.

best to leave the bolt open dont you think ?

Anthony

the guy was a client not a friend .
the red indicator on the styer safety is clearly visible saying the firearm is in the unsafe position.

so the rifle was not put on safe after the shot ?.
also did the client recycle the bolt ?
is there a live round chambered?.

to many questions for my liking.

to read the story the animal was lying down ,they did not know how badly it was injured ,if at all.
the stalker let his client shoot a animal that did not give a clear target area when lying down.
there is a disturbance in the hair on the ridge of the animals back ,which would be right from a shot taken in this manner .

Howa

I wasn't having a pop there by the way.

Smullery we are not talking about people intentionally shooting others here but merely guaranteeing that a fatality or injury does not occur through negligence.

Remember the saying - safety first - death is final.

Hi,
I hate to be anal here but not everyone is ex military and ND is a squaddies phrase.
Please say negligent discharge for such an important safety topic so the newbies here without any military background can follow the thread and learn from it.
Spelling could be improved everywhere on the forum also but there is an old english teacher talking out loud.

Of course bolt open is the way to go however taking a practicle view on this

If you are in rough terrain /wet weather?

If with guest then I'd normaly have the rifle in a slip, or at least be in charge of the rifle, so I know the bolt is shot and whenever I carry out an action with a rifle i.e loading unloading, underloading I tell and shoow those with me what I'm doing.

The problem arrises when your say team culling i.e hinds with other stalkers
you may both be riding quads, dragging deer just stomping over ground.

familiarity breed contempt as they say, in these siuations you must keep good communication . I'm very wary who I stalk/work with because of this.
Magazines are here to inform and educate, if someone sends in a pic[no matter how big , or what agent they're advertising] if the bolt ain't open or there is any breach of best practice then it shouldn't be published!

Bavarianbrit said:
Hi,
I hate to be anal here but not everyone is ex military and ND is a squaddies phrase.
Please say negligent discharge for such an important safety topic so the newbies here without any military background can follow the thread and learn from it.
Spelling could be improved everywhere on the forum also but there is an old english teacher talking out loud.

Bayer,

Have inspected your submission above, and am concerned about the lack of appropriate commas - and as for the lack of capitalization of the word 'England'. Suitable prose simply escapes me! ;)

I don't know - wot are English teachers coming to nowadays?

All in good sport - and with tongue firmly in cheek!

Rgds

Ian

I must admit it concerns me when i see a photograph with a happy stalker with his deer and a rifle with the bolt closed.
I pm'd (to save embarrasment to the poster) a member on this forum when he posted a similar picture and never got a reply.
Its quite simple, open bolt safe,closed bolt unsafe.
Cheers
Richard

Back