Free one for one time limit

bk

Im having a brain fart and cant find where it says how long you have to apply for a free one for one after selling a rifle.
Can anyone point me in the right direction??

Im having a brain fart and cant find where it says how long you have to apply for a free one for one after selling a rifle.
Can anyone point me in the right direction??

I was told within 7 days by TVP

Once upon a time, Northumbria had no such time limits - you could apply at any time

Now I'm with Police Scotland: previously with Lothian & Borders I was told that they had a 7 day limit...which was news to me, as I have also been unable to find anything in any legal document stipulating a time frame. My take on it is is may have come about as an ACPO type scheme to raise revenue for departments.

Strathclyde as it was prior to becoming Police Scotland charged £25 if it was not carried out within the seven days.
As far as the forms go, no mention of the seven day period?
Note to Part D Renewal or variations only

A fee is payable in respect of a variation only when the number of

firearms held by virtue of the certificate is increased.

Unless otherwise advised by police, you should post or take the

completed form together with the fee and photographs to the police

force headquarters. In the case of an application for renewal or

variation, the current certificate should be included with the

application. An application for a variation which results from the

disposal of one weapon and the need for authorisation to acquire a

new weapon of the same type and calibre (a one-for-one variation)

should be submitted direct to the police force headquarters.

I think that the section that you have been looking for is contained within section 10.51 of the 2002 guidance to police document. It probably exists somewhere in the 2013 guidance but so far I have not located it.

10.51 A variation is always necessary if a certificate holder wishes to change one of the firearms, even if they wish to purchase one identical to the one they are selling (Wilson v Coombe, Queen’s Bench Divisional Court, July 1988). “One for one” variation refers to firearms that are authorised to be acquired at the same time as one is being disposed of. For practical purposes this is normally taken to be within seven days. The use of authorities which can be kept open indefinitely should be discouraged.

sorry Bob you are right i am just doing this now its on your firearms cert as i was reading both to submit, atb wayne

I put mine in to Norfolk about 10 weeks after I sold the original rifle and had my licence back with variation completed within 3 days.

Its usually 7 days if you have sold a rifle and want to replace with another authority, however you can swap one authority for another on a free one for one basis variation anytime as long as you dont increase the number of firearms held, i have never paid for a variation during the 29yrs i have held a FAC

Ian.

sold a mod, informed them within a week
realised my mistake and rang them 6 days later to request that the slot be kept open

£26 please!!

no 1 for 1 allowed as "computer says no"
really plssed me off as it is an administrative time limit that serves no purpose and all they did was request money for something that wouldnt have been done inside 10 days

I generally put the firearms department on notice that I will be applying for a 1-4-1 when I notify them of any gun that I have sold/disposed of by email. The last time I did this I told them that I would shortly be selling another gun and so to avoid having to submit two separate applications shortly after one another I requested that I be permitted to delay submitting the first 1-4-1. They agreed to a delay of a month without incurring a variation fee but asked that I inform them if I wanted more time. I considered this quite reasonable of them.

Hi 8x57
Couldn't agree more with your quote.As a new member but an old ex meat shooter from NZ I read with interest the different forums discussing calbres and ballistics.Here in the early days of commercial meat recovery we used light clabres to avoid meat damage as we were paid on the basis of least damage to meat.Many thousands of deer were shot with 22 Hornet,22Magnum,222 and 243 calibres.It is down to placement of your shot and stalking ability.Later as we were paid by the carcass weight we moved to heavier calibres as meat damage did not matter as much.The old 308 is still favoured as one of the best all rounders although I used and still do a BAR 270 with no complaints .
Cheers,
Brownie

Back