Advice for new stalker regarding first rifle

T-Bolt94

Good evening all,

I have recently completed my DSC1 and now have my DMQ certificate and badge. I am looking to buy a good rifle that will suitably do the job. My current thoughts are .308 calibre, and a HOWA 1500. I would be thinking between 500 and 600£ max ideally including a scope (nothing fancy scope wise as I can upgrade this later with relative ease.) likewise, not overly fussed on a moderator as feel their purpose/necessity is somewhat debatable, and that a pair of plugs can protect my hearing equally if not better. I would be keen to buy the rifle new if possible but advice on a good quality second hand rifle would also be useful.

As I say I am new to stalking but have a relatively good amount of rimfire experience on both rabbit and fox. Any advice/comments would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

​T-Bolt94

308 are a great calibre, also the barrels last well compared to other calibres . I would have a look on guntrader and gunstar and look for something lightly used. Beware of anything with signs of corrosion around a threaded muzzle as the mod may have been left on which will allow corrosion to set in very quickly
​Have just checked and there is plenty around. Have a look at the sako a2 and the lake lander which seem to be good value for decent quality. Try before you buy is a good idea if you can and don't be afraid to walk away. Also don't skimp on the scope, better to have a quality fixed mag rather than an el cheapo variable every time

Last edited:
Yes, I think it would suit what deer species are most prominent in Ireland and also the availability of low cost FMJ ammo that I can use to acquire myself with the rifle and just for practicing. I have often wondered how buying online works out for people in Ireland/NI are there any other implications that you know of or is it just a standard RFD to RFD transaction?

​Thanks

Like srvet says, the 308 is an excellent choice. Its a versatile cartridge that will handle any game in the UK ( and most game here to be honest ) . It has reasonably priced ammo thats readily available, with a good selection of loadings and easily managed recoil levels. I've owned 2 Howa actioned rifles ( Weatherby Vanguards) , I was more than happy with them. Both were accurate, reliable rifles. They aren't exactly high end but they work well, and thats all I needed. I think you'll be happy with your choice. One bit of advice, don't go cheap on your scope, try to buy the best quality glass you can afford and it will save you some grief in the long run.

AB

If you are interested in used... you can pick up nice mausers already set up with a decent scope on egun for a couple hundred euro... May have to adjust caliber a little and go with 30.06 or a 7 or 8mm.. I picked up my 30.06 with a 6x42 scope for 120 euro and am tickled pink with it....

I almost bought this one, but couldn't pass up the price on the mauser.... If I start hunting more and get my own lease, I may look at it again....

http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=4558630

Last edited:
If you are interested in used... you can pick up nice mausers already set up with a decent scope on egun for a couple hundred euro... May have to adjust caliber a little and go with 30.06 or a 7 or 8mm.. I picked up my 30.06 with a 6x42 scope for 120 euro and am tickled pink with it....

I almost bought this one, but couldn't pass up the price on the mauser.... If I start hunting more and get my own lease, I may look at it again....

http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=4558630

Another really good option, I would take a good used 98 Mauser over most new rifles.

AB

Many years ago, when I started, I went on several stalks with an experienced stalker before getting my first rifle. This chap had two cabinets stuffed with rifles of several calibres, but when I asked his advice on what to get as my first rifle, without hesitation he said to get a .308 as the best allrounder. I took his advice and have never regretted it, so your thoughts on calibre are fine in my opinion.

I recently purchased a new Howa 1500 in .308 as a second rifle. I did my research first, and I have to say I am impressed with it. I went for a stainless action in a wood stock as I suppose I'm a bit old fashioned and have never 'warmed' to the synthetics. I think the rifle looks good and I have had no problems with it.

Fantastic. Thanks for your advice. I will have a look and try source a suitable rifle, are there any scopes that you would recommend avoiding? Or specifically looking at that are fairly low cost but of decent quality?

​Thanks

Generally go for the best possible pair of binoculars and scope you can afford, as they will last you a lifetime and 'move' with you to other rifles in the future.
If you go for a fixed power 6x42 scope of a good Brand you will be fine for 99% of stalking situations, as most stalkers are over-scoped and over-magnified, under influence from some clever marketing men colluding with the shooting press. Think Water Proof, gas-filled, multi-coated lenses, if you buy new there is a good choice around £300+ or a used Premium Brand for £300-£500.
These two articles were a bit of an eye-opener for me - I hope you can find something in there that makes sense to you. Article 1 Article 2
Also have a look at http://www.chuckhawks.com/scopes_price_class.htm

The Howa is an excellent budget choice - as acurate as many others at 4-5 times the price.

Think you are spot on,

Howa 1500 in 308, cannot go wrong

there is a package deal with everything you need for around £900

:popcorn:
brace yourself for 1000 contrary posts on the best calibre, cartridge, rifle, scope and bino combination......

none of it matters...all deer legal rifles kill deer whether they cost £5 or £5000 (I personally pride myself on buying the cheapest crap possible and making it shoot more deer/foxes/rabbits and crows than the next custom "tacticool" item

go find and more importantly shoot a (deer legal) rifle that fits YOU!

buy what you can afford in hardware and then spend the rest on actual stalking

bought days with reputable guides are a good place to start
go learn the finer arts of creeping up on things in practice not theory

brace yourself for 1000 contrary posts on the best calibre, cartridge, rifle, scope and bino combination......

none of it matters...all deer legal rifles kill deer whether they cost £5 or £5000 (I personally pride myself on buying the cheapest crap possible and making it shoot more deer/foxes/rabbits and crows than the next custom "tacticool" item

Good advice.

AB

I totally agree with this comment, I had soooooo many individuals that had an opinion on what was the right calibre or combination of calibres, my 10 pence worth is try paid stalking on an estate that has a few estate rifles in different calibres, you will need to use these on the range first before the keeper takes you out and that will let you gauge fore yourself which calibre you shoot well with. enjoy mate

Back