calling sika ireland

Hi Landkeeper,

funny one alright, always thought that the law applied to electronic type callers, but reeds you blow are permitted.
the experts on boards are great naysayers at times- you can't rattle antlers?????

​brian

Hi Landkeeper,

funny one alright, always thought that the law applied to electronic type callers, but reeds you blow are permitted.
the experts on boards are great naysayers at times- you can't rattle antlers?????

​brian

maybe they are but the wildlife acts are there for all to read ;) and i have heard of a few lads now being stopped by wildlife rangers and asked about callers and such there seems to be a bit of a push on now to tighten things up especially on the deer shooting front not before time in my book .

Funny thing - calling deer in UK is an art / skill. With us it is illegal ! I think NPWS have painted themselves into a corner. I think that section was in the original 76 act and as nobody then had got the hang of calling sika there wasn't too much worry about it. If it's an aid to management in UK then it's a bit twofaced to ban it over here when officialdom is busy stating that there are too many deer. For what its worth I think they are right, but they are too busy alienating the 'recreational' stalker and doing SFA to control poaching/ illegal culling to engage with the average joes. One of the amendments they proposed to the updated wildlife act was to ban ALL lamping as a means of combating poaching. Its only just over 20 years since Wicklow landowners were paying for fuel for ranger's vehicles so they could go out at night! Maybe I'm mistaken but I don't see callers used 'legally' making you a bag of deer in the same way as foxes

Ion

In Wicklow at least, the npws seem to be more proactive of late.
although they could do with some high profile success against commercial poachers.

Ion has hit the nail on the head, they should worry about all the deer lamped than guys calling in sika stags during the rut.

Blimey I'm glad I read this I was hoping to be call Sika next week in Ireland on my first trip over . Has anyone actually been prosecuted for this, the law seems a bit fuzzy to me surely it is aimed at electronic callers.
Can I ask all the Irish stalkers if there are any other laws that are different from the UK that it is important to know, particularly how late/early are you allowed to shoot?
Or is there a link to deer related laws for Ireland? Sorry to hijack thread a bit;)

George

PS. Where's the nearest game dealer to Bantry?

Back