Clocks Going Back

Blitzking

Is it just me or does this seem like a pointless excercise to others? I'd rather have an extra hours daylight in the evening when I get home from work than having an extra hour of daylight to drive to work! I live in the north of Scotland and I'm told (don't know if it's true) that this came into being to cater for children walking to school in the dark up here, but come on, how many kids walk to school nowadays.

Don't know if anyone else agree's but this change to British winter time should be reviewed again in my opinion.

Messed up my dogs feeding time. They have been a right pain thinking its food time an hour early. Not notice it in past years.

I vote to keep it, but along with that make it illegal to drive children to school, at any time of the year.
I have 4 schools within half a mile of here, the estate is nearly impossible to navigate due to school run mums parked on every corner, pavement or across driveways.
What makes it even worse is the schools start and finish times are staggered to avoid this rush, but with some mums having children at more than one school, it is pandemonium from 7am to 4.30pm :evil:

Neil. :)

It was tried in the late 1960s and was a disaster,almost 10am before it was light in the North, kids going to school in the dark, difficulty for farmers getting cattle in for milking, and more accidents as morning rush hour in the dark.

Is it just me or does this seem like a pointless excercise to others? I'd rather have an extra hours daylight in the evening when I get home from work than having an extra hour of daylight to drive to work!
Don't know if anyone else agree's but this change to British winter time should be reviewed again in my opinion.

I agree:)

It was tried in the late 1960s and was a disaster,almost 10am before it was light in the North, kids going to school in the dark, difficulty for farmers getting cattle in for milking, and more accidents as morning rush hour in the dark.

Perhaps if Scotland becomes independent they could stay with GMT.

Down here on the south coast the hour of day light would probably be more useful in the afternoon. I have always found it easier to get tools out of a well lit shed first thing in the morning than retrieving them from scattered around a landscaping site in the dark.

atb Tim

Don't know if it's right or not but I heard on the radio that GMT is the winter and it was changed to give extra daylight hours in the summer instead of them going to waste in the early morning. This explains why daylight savings time is also called British summer time.

I think it's the clocks going forward in Spring that should be stopped! The amount of daylight you get depends principally on the date and your latitude, with local topography and current weather having a slight effect, so you can tinker about with your watch to your heart's content but you cannot alter the length of daylight. I think its more useful to know that you are halfway through the amount of daylight when your watch is at 12 rather than do mental arithmetic. For what its worth, GMT is already about 10 minutes too early for most of the UK population. One often overlooked disadvantage of maintaining Summer Time through the Winter months is that the warmest (actually, least cold) part of the day doesn't come till after 2pm which puts constraints on some construction operations.

I remember the experiment from 68 to 71 when Summer Time was retained and called British Standard Time, in winter it was still dark o'clock at tea break! I understand that Spain, which is on GMT + 1, is considering changing to GMT

I think it's the clocks going forward in Spring that should be stopped! The amount of daylight you get depends principally on the date and your latitude, with local topography and current weather having a slight effect, so you can tinker about with your watch to your heart's content but you cannot alter the length of daylight. I think its more useful to know that you are halfway through the amount of daylight when your watch is at 12 rather than do mental arithmetic. For what its worth, GMT is already about 10 minutes too early for most of the UK population. One often overlooked disadvantage of maintaining Summer Time through the Winter months is that the warmest (actually, least cold) part of the day doesn't come till after 2pm which puts constraints on some construction operations. I remember the experiment from 68 to 71 when Summer Time was retained and called British Standard Time, in winter it was still dark o'clock at tea break! I understand that Spain, which is on GMT + 1, is considering changing to GMT
Like you I can remember when it was tried before, disaster for anyone who worked out doors impossible to start before 10am even later in the far North. I agree it would make more sense for us in Scotland at least to stay on GMT all year round.

When I was stalking I used to like it when the clocks went back, at least you get a bit of the evening off and get to work in company time rather your 'own'.

Apparently there are less accidents on dark mornings, driving, than in dark evenings. People, despite it being morning, being more alert. And all this nonsense about it too dark for the farm animals! Tosh! Animals body clocks work according to when it is light and when it is dark!

Farmers have lights on teir tractors now and cows have horns so i say abolish it.

Chainsaws don't have lights though, so anyone working on the trees cant start work till late.
I don't see what the problem with the clock change is. My dogs aren't effected by the change, they eat when their food is put down in front of them.

Originally Posted by Cris
Messed up my dogs feeding time. thinking its food time an hour early.

X2 Mine too

X3 it's not so much the feeding but the getting up for a walk. Having to drag my arse out of bed an hour earlier than I would like. Not good when I'm on late shift as work won't let me go home an hour earlier:(
Wingy

Back