Jagd und Hund - Dortmund

It's not that far off Vigilaire, it will soon come around.

I rather fancied going this year and started looking around a couple of weeks ago for flights from Bristol, Birmingham or even Cardiff (Ha Ha), as all three airports are convenient to me. Lovely airport Cardiff but you can't get a flight to anywhere from it apart to Benidorm or the Canaries. If I have to drive to Luton I might as well take the car all the way.

I've been thinking of going for a few years now, it certainly beats the British shooting Show which my mate suggested we attend again this year. After last year's debacle there is no way that I will be going there again. I have been to the French game fair a couple of times and to the Salon du Chasse just outside Paris in the past the continentals certainly have more style than us, so I would definitely like to see how the Germans do it.

I am more than likely going on the Sunday and coming back Monday, was going on the Saturday but its my daughters second birthday and I think the wife might perform a suspended gralloch on me if I went then! Not sure wether it'll be by road or air yet though...

My little team are going out on the Wednesday afternoon flight from Luton.

Thursday and Friday at the show then back on Saturday lunchtime all being well.

Got the PM Stan, link up on Friday evening hopefully.

Have never been there on the last day but apparently all the bargains come out on Sunday!

I used to go every year when I lived over there its a great day out. You can get a Taxi from the airport for about €20, ask for the Westfalenhalle.
Steve

Always fancied this massive fair with a great reputation.
Anyone interested in sharing the driving? Cheers, K

That's something to think about Krabryn. I've already started doing a few costings but not sure if the wife would let me escape on my own. These sort of trips always cost me four times as much when she tags along for some reason.

My little team are going out on the Wednesday afternoon flight from Luton.

Thursday and Friday at the show then back on Saturday lunchtime all being well.

Got the PM Stan, link up on Friday evening hopefully.

Have never been there on the last day but apparently all the bargains come out on Sunday!

I'll get there on Friday afternoon and so can meet up for drink. Back on Sunday.

Stan

Always fancied this massive fair with a great reputation.
Anyone interested in sharing the driving? Cheers, K

We have thought about driving too, makes great sense if there is a gang of you and helps logistics for bringing home all those 'essential purchases'. I go cabin baggage only to avoid temptation.

Stan - Friday afternoon should find us at the Veltins stand for 'refreshments'! Look forward to linking up.

Hi All!
If you like to meet me, a German, living close to Dortmund, and have a beer, a chat or a tour around the fair, just let me know!
It would be great to meet you guys there!!

Cheers

​Michael

Hi All!
If you like to meet me, a German, living close to Dortmund, and have a beer, a chat or a tour around the fair, just let me know!
It would be great to meet you guys there!!

Cheers

​Michael

Hi Michael - look forward to linking up. Will arrange details nearer the time. Chris.

I know easyjet go from Luton, however that's a trek for me. Any suggestions for alternative air ports then train for example will be most appreciated
Cheers

When I went to Germany a month ago I flew with Lufthansa. Very reasonable about £104 return with 23kg baggage allowance but that was to Dusseldorf. I flew from Birmingham.

Jon

So 243Varmint, Rather than think about earlier idea to share driving in mid winter, are you recommending simpler faster flights Birmingham to Dortmund? Cheers, K

Krabyn from what I have found so far is that flights to Dortmund only go from Luton or Stanstead. I haven't found any airlines that fly to Dortmund from Birmingham.

I have reservations about driving to Dortmund in early February but my concerns are with the roads in this country not on the continent. In this country it only takes the smallest fall of snow for the entire country to grind to a halt. On the continent they just get on with it and carry on as usual. Generaly the road network is far better over there also.

Hi All!
It will be the easiest way to fly into Düsseldorf, the airport is much bigger than Dortmund, so its a chosen destination from a lot of airport in the UK....
Its about a 30 minutes drive from there.
I will be in Dortmund on Tuesday and Wednesday, because I am off to Wales from Thursday on, doing some stalking...:D
If you need any support and like to meet, just let me know, it would be a pleasure to meet a few lads from SD!

Forget about travel time.... Is it possible to get thru the fair in a day? Am trying to coordinate a few guys to go but don't know whether to drive up or take a train.....

Back