Laser Illuminators... please explain why you...

Paul at Fechan

can't just get a £5 laser pointer with filter and fit an adjustable lens in a housing threaded onto the laser case. Or is that just stupid because the wavelength is wrong or something like that.

Just looked at the prices for dedicated units and considering the prices of the component parts to make a generic 'laser' I really don't see how they can demand so much money for IR lasers

can't just get a £5 laser pointer with filter and fit an adjustable lens in a housing threaded onto the laser case. Or is that just stupid because the wavelength is wrong or something like that.

Just looked at the prices for dedicated units and considering the prices of the component parts to make a generic 'laser' I really don't see how they can demand so much money for IR lasers

I have similar thoughts about the difference between £500 telescopic sights and £2500 ones ,is there that big a difference ?

Alright paul

I have been wondering the same, quite fancy an ND3 type thing but money puts me off.
But if u look on evilbay seems to be plenty of choice at all sorts off money from 30-60 quid from asia to 150ish for more reputable makes. (Possibly these will suffer from the cold like early ND3's did)

Wot are u paying ur money for?

From wot i can make out a lot of laser are something like 520ish nm (i think), no idea wot pointers are but guessing it's mibee the wattage/power pointers lack as well as the focussing/spread.

My final query is can/do foxes/rabbits see the laser 'light'. I have been told they can see it but just totally ignore it unlike with a more traditional lamp sometimes

Woo Hoo just figured out how to get the auto save working :D:D Pushed the wrong button (again) when i went to post this :doh:

finesse and light transmission certainly in optics but another comparison may be the ford focus and the Aston Martin DB9. The both basically do the same job.

here ya go......
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UniqueFir...3823972?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item3cd4899464

Those laser designators aren't what you'd expect..... I have the light like in the link and a green laser designator. The laser stops working under 10 degrees Celsius and bothers the animals.... I have shined fox, badger, hogs, deer, dogs, cats, and horses with the light and they don't even notice it. The laser designator makes them nervous right away. One morning, I had 6 deer laying about 50 ft off the trail I was driving.. car lights never bothered them, I stopped, put down the window and shined the light on them with no reaction. Shined them with the laser designator and they started to stir... Went on and came back about 20 minutes later and hit them with the light again and no reaction. Our horses have the same reaction.... light and don't even lift their head, laser designator, they move away immediately...

Interesting... These cree diodes in the torches are pretty good all round but is the diode basically the same as a laser diode? You get a lot of zap for very little power. Is the gree one filtered green do you know?

Are you wanting a laser illuminator to be like a torch? Or are you looking for it to be IR for use with night vision?
​if a torch then you better make sure it is eye safe.

Hey Paul, what are you trying to do with it?? are you lookin for an iluminator?? Tonight just looked through my buddys NV750 with his £200 cree IR illuminator and wow it made a massive difference to my IR laser, guess you have to decide what you want from it I know he has taken fox out to 300yds with the set up on his 22-250, but as a part time keeper it keeps him on top of the game.
I guess it depends what you expect for the money you spend. I've got 3 IR illuminators but none come near his bit of kit.
Just sent you a PM.

Cheers
Pete

found them cheap (£8) but from hong kong with red, green or UV options, going to get a green one for a play

Ultrafire WF-501B CREE T6/Green/Red/UV LED Aluminum Alloy Flashlight Torch Light | eBay

if they're knock off crap I'll get a paypal refund under 'fake' goods and keep it anyway lol

your integrity is only worth 8 pounds??

That one you got is nice enough. The 802 is a little more kick. What I ended up doing is getting the 802 with remote and no batteries, one like in your link with 2 batteries and a charger for cheaper than I could find batteries and a charger. You can also rig a rubber hose or PVC pipe on the eyepiece of your scope and stick the light in. You'll be able to put your crosshairs right on target. I know a guy that does that with a real IR (invisible) light and uses a cheap NV from ALDI with good results on pigs.....

you can pretty much forget the laser designator in rain, mist, or fog....... The light is not great either, but better....

Also, LED is a PITA for following blood at night. It's a good idea to an incandescent handy for that purpose....

Last edited:
I just want to figure out why some dedicated IR lasers for NV gear are so expensive when as a product they can't be expensive to make?!

Also, cree diodes are very powerful, filtered they should surely be an excellent mid range illuminator to say 100m?

Last edited:
I am currently worki g on something.
Using a aspherical lens I am able to make the little £8 led torches throw to 130meters.
The added benefit is you can choose any color led or even IR led fo nv.

It should all be done by th weekend. I will let you know how it goes.

I just want to figure out why some dedicated IR lasers for NV gear are so expensive when as a product they can't be expensive to make?!

Also, cree diodes are very powerful, filtered they should surely be an excellent mid range illuminator to say 100m?

You cant filter leds. You will seriously stunt the throwing range. The plus side is that you can choose ANY color led you like.

I mostly use Odicforce for my laser designators and laser IR illuminators, saves a fortune and the guy is in the UK. Although I've just bought a Marky610 LED IR illuminator and at £55 it's well worth it.

I mostly use Odicforce for my laser designators and laser IR illuminators, saves a fortune and the guy is in the UK. Although I've just bought a Marky610 LED IR illuminator and at £55 it's well worth it.

speak to mark paul

£55 job done and they are cracking bits of kit. my mate has one with his new yukon photon thing and it works well out to 200 yards with ease.

bob.

Wrong wave length as they are visible light and too weak at around a couple of MW compared with my illuminator's 90MW

Back