semi auto 22lr advise

Distinguished Member
Hi Guys

i am thinking of doing a one to one variation from a 22lr bolt action to a 22lr semi auto for bunny control

but i have never owned a semi auto before so a few questions if i may

can you use subsonic ammo in a semi ???

which semi would you buy (max budget £400 ish)????

ive been looking at rugar 10/22 they any good ???

ATB

Dave

had the ruger thingy hated it as the bolt slap after each shot was louder than the round going off ! mine did't like subs so i had to use tenx so bunnys would get wise to it moved to the CZ never looked back View attachment 34160

I would stick to a bolt action, never found any of the semi autos to be better than them. A bolt action will fire any ammo you put through it, semi autos can be fussy creatures.

​Al

II'd never buy an auto but especially not a 10 / 22 they're awful I've not heard a good word about them

If you're stuck on the idea of a semi auto .22lr, the Sig522 model has the best reviews. Most reliable, not too fussy on ammunition (not sure about subs) easy to strip and clean.

They're about £800 ish depending on model, so out of your price, although second hand ones can be had for around £600 which is a bit nearer the mark.

There are five models, although only three are available in UK. The Classic which has a plastic foregrip and can have accessory rails screwed on. The SWAT which has an aluminium quad rail foregrip- no so comfortable to grip, but easy to add foregrips, torches, lasers, any other crap you want to bolt to your rifle. The final version is the Target, which has a round tube foregrip, allowing a fully floating barrel.

One other point to note. None of these come with ANY sight. No iron sights, no scope mounts. The reaseon being that most people will equip their rifle with a scope, or dot sight of sorts, so they dont include iron sights as standard. this "keeps costs down" (increases SIG profit!) Iron sights are available, but not cheap.

HTH

I would stick to a bolt action, never found any of the semi autos to be better than them. A bolt action will fire any ammo you put through it, semi autos can be fussy creatures.

​Al
I agree with the above I've used three different ones over the years and they are fussy and noisy. Nothing worse than your weapon jamming just at the crucial moment :oops:.

It might be worth looking at the new straight pull .22lr that's available, I've never seen too much advantage in stalking rifles but I could with the rimfires.

I had a rem597 for several years.It was a great rifle, but with the later mags as it has a reputation for failing to feed, mag related.VQ hammer and extractor at not much cost, it was a shooter and i really miss it now.A mate has the 10/22, and i dont rate them standard.Small dimensions and if you really want a decent gun out of it you need to replace most of it.
​ Another mate has the cz511, the older model, which can be picked up cheaply.He paid 150 quid for it and really, if i was to have another semi, i`d get one.Acurate and reliable.

Just bought myself a CZ 511 for the princely sum of £45!
Not tried it yet but having had one previously I do rate them but as has been said for accuracy and quietness in use you will ot beat a bolt action

Guys the 10/22 is a great rifle and amazingly reliable. I have, hand on heart, fired thousands and thousands of rounds through mine in the last year alone and its a sewing machine.

BUT for rabbit control I would not recommend it. Semi auto is just not quiet. The 10/22 is not designed to run on sub-sonics and depending on who you listen to it will or it wont. I feed mine CCI Mini Mag and its faultless.

Horses for courses. Obviously in the USA night hunting is frowned upon mostly and moderators are an assassins tool.

I had a go with a friends Ruger semi auto recently, and I have to say I didn't like it one little bit!
(But I'm a bit biased, as I'm very fond of my BRNO #2 as you know, and everything else seems to be a poor second!)

I use both a bolt and a semi for rabbit control. I've had the same Voere semi-auto for around 40 years, it's accurate, reliable and quiet, I modified it a little to run on subs and as long as I de-gunk the action now and again it rarely lets me down. It has the ability to lock the bolt, so can be used as a conventional bolt rifle if required.

Spare mags may be hard to find and it's unfashionable long with a PH mod fitted. It's my regular walk about rifle and does the job perfectly.

hi
ive had my 10/22 for just over 10 years, and i have put a lot through it. I have owned it from new, and i sent the trigger to rimfire magic to be lighten, plus i also change a few other bits, like the ejector.
As already stated, it can be fussy with ammo, and the roto mag is a bit nosey, but i do like mine.
Instead of doing one for one swap, why not ask for another .22rf.
I have a semi auto, but i have another slot to purchase a .22rf bolt action, west mercia didnt seem to worried.
Your not to far away from me, your more then welcome to met up and try out my 10/22 to see what you think, just let me know
atb
simon

What ever happens dont buy a remi 597, unless you want to relieve me of mine :banghead: its very accurate but it wont cycle reliably and the trigger is heavier than a heavy thing even after fitting a load of volquartsen parts to it

hi charlieh,
what bullets are you useing, might be taking it to a gun smith, there used to be a gun smith(john adin) in ashbourne, dont know if hes still there though

What ever happens dont buy a remi 597, unless you want to relieve me of mine :banghead: its very accurate but it wont cycle reliably and the trigger is heavier than a heavy thing even after fitting a load of volquartsen parts to it

it just doesnt like subsonics overly but the newer magazines also help the feed issues a lot. Its just not designed for subsonics really. The trigger is better than it was but its still fairly heavy so long shots can be tricky. I may get it looked at or just buy a bolt action and get rid of the issues with semi auto .22s

I can't understand all the negative feedback regarding the ruger 10/22. I've had mine for 18 years, shot thousands of rabbits with it and enjoyed every minute with it. It loves CCI subsonics and as long as I keep the mags clean, it never misses a beat.

I think they are a real marmite rifle.
I've owned a couple and they did shoot well once tweaked but I preferred my Marlin semi-auto or even my Magtech to the Ruger purely because of the problems I had with keeping the Ruger mags cycling on dusty stubbles when lamping

Back