Alberta Buck!!

alberta boy

Whitetail taken with a Parker Hale 1943 No 4 sporter in 303 British - 175 yds - who says the 303 is obsolete?!

Attachments

• Hunting Oct 2013 025.JPG
    Hunting Oct 2013 025.JPG
    477.5 KB · Views: 258
Beautiful Whitetail Alberta Boy! - will make a great mount. Nothing wrong with the .303, shot hundreds of deer with this calibre in my younger days..... Bill.

Alberta boy - well done! Nice to see a different species being hunted.. How does the hunting in Alberta work? Do you get a tag, or do you have to buy it? Is it a long season? Always interested to hear about how other countries hunt..

Have you hunted in the UK?

Nice.... Makes me homesick:rolleyes:.... We could only use shotgun and slug in Ohio back then tho.... Maybe still that way now?? Nice thing about it, at the distance a slug was effective, you never had to worry about having the best rifle/scope combo etc......

Cracker AB! Looks like you got lucky with that .303 - They aren't supposed to work you know!

Scrummy

Well I for one don't think it's obsolete as a hunting round but then I am biased :D .

​Congratulations indeed.

Great looking Deer that.
Almost doesn't look real (that might just be my stupid brain)

Would love to have a go for one, one day

Alberta boy - well done! Nice to see a different species being hunted.. How does the hunting in Alberta work? Do you get a tag, or do you have to buy it? Is it a long season? Always interested to hear about how other countries hunt..

Have you hunted in the UK?

I did hunt small game ( rabbits ) when I was boy. I was born in Enfield, and I lived on Ordnance Rd just up the street from RSAF Enfield Lock before I immigrated here. I never got the chance to hunt anything bigger unfortunately, but I've made up for it since I came to Alberta.

The length of season here varies from zone to zone and species to species. The area I hunt in starts Sept 17th and ends Nov 31rst. You buy tags for each species, the average price is about $ 30 cdn. In my area you're allowed three White-tails, one buck and two does, male Mule-Deer, Bull Elk,Big-Horn Sheep, Cougar and Black Bear on general license ( over the counter ) Bull Moose, Cow Moose, Antelope, Cow Elk, Muley does, Big Horn ewes, Mountain Goat and Wood Bison are on a draw system. You apply in June for the special draw license and you license number goes in a pool, the sucessful hunters are picked in August. The draw works on a priority system, the first time you apply your priority is zero, each year you apply your priority number goes up ie, after three yrs your priority number is two. Fish & Wildlife awards tags to those hunters with the highest priority number in each category, it sounds complicated but its very even handed and works very well. Timber Wolves dont require a tag and there is no limit on the number you can take ( I don't shoot wolves myself, I just feel better knowing they're there and enjoy watching them. I feel they have more right to be there than I do, and yes , a lot of people dont share my opinion but to each their own )

There are amazing hunting opportunities in this province and not a day goes by that I'm not thankful for being lucky enough to enjoy them.

AB

wow what a beatiful place to live, i have visited canada a few times.
so you buy the tag from the state, which allows you to shoot over what sort of area ?

wow what a beatiful place to live, i have visited canada a few times.
so you buy the tag from the state, which allows you to shoot over what sort of area ?

Yes, all resources , wildlife, lumber, mineral rights etc. belong to the province ( Albertans ) so the Ministry of Natural Resources ( Fish & wildlife Division ) controls all hunting activity.

A general tag allows you to hunt throughout the province, within reason, obviously there is no season for Sheep out on the prairies lol. The general tags will allow you to hunt anywhere in the province as long as there is an open season for the species that you're after.In most cases, this gives you access to a huge amount of territory.

The special draw licences are used for managing populations that are more sensitive to hunting pressure or for managing smaller areas with unique needs. We have a season here that applies to areas around Edmonton that have unusually high White-Tail numbers, this is an over the counter licence that allows you to take an additional two deer ( either sex ) on top of your general licence. You aren't allowed center-fire rifles in this area, you can use shotguns with slugs, you wouldn't believe some of the slug guns out here, rifle like accuracy out to about 150 yrds. You can also use muzzle-loaders ( minimum 45 cal ) or bow, this is because of safety concerns. There are a fair amount of residences around the city and since the above have much shorter ranges it lowers the chance of accidents, at least thats the theory.

There are many other special licences and draws available here, but it would take me hours to write about them, and probably bore a lot of you to death.If you're interested in hunting opportunities in Alberta you can go on the provincial Hunting website Albertarealm. It covers all aspects of natural resources like hunting , fishing and trapping and gives some good information on all Alberta wildlife such as grizzly populations, caribou and wolverine studies and other outdoor related articles. Some of it is very interesting.

Thanks everyone for your interest, AB

Nice buck! Much of a drag? I'm off tonight where the closest I'll get to the deer with a vehicle is 1.3 miles. If I get one it will be a serious amount of work to get her out! ~Muir

PS: Using an obsolete rifle and cartridge on deer.... tisk! tisk!

Last edited:
Hi Andy, It wasn't to far, but it was across about two hundred yrds of old clear-cut. You can see in the picture all the old downed timber, and we were able to 4X4 in on a cut-line to where he was.

I've shot enough animals in remote areas to be a bit picky about whether its worth taking a shot. One moose took me three days to bone out and pack back to camp, I'm getting a little long in the tooth for that foolishness lol.

I took a nice big dry doe on this trip too. Like the buck, she went down instantly at the shot. I have a lot of rifles to choose from, but for some reason I end up carrying that Enfield more often than not. It is a reliable old rig and has NEVER let me down.

I'm off for Mulies this week, we've put it off because of a storm front coming in today, hopefully we'll be out by Thursday. I'm looking forward to trying out the 95, it should be interesting. If I'm lucky I'll have a picture to post

Later brother, Steve

Hi Andy, It wasn't to far, but it was across about two hundred yrds of old clear-cut. You can see in the picture all the old downed timber, and we were able to 4X4 in on a cut-line to where he was.

I've shot enough animals in remote areas to be a bit picky about whether its worth taking a shot. One moose took me three days to bone out and pack back to camp, I'm getting a little long in the tooth for that foolishness lol.

I took a nice big dry doe on this trip too. Like the buck, she went down instantly at the shot. I have a lot of rifles to choose from, but for some reason I end up carrying that Enfield more often than not. It is a reliable old rig and has NEVER let me down.

I'm off for Mulies this week, we've put it off because of a storm front coming in today, hopefully we'll be out by Thursday. I'm looking forward to trying out the 95, it should be interesting. If I'm lucky I'll have a picture to post

Later brother, Steve

I was bow hunting in the Sangre de Christo mountains in northern New Mexico once and came on a mountain muley within range. I had him at full draw and looked at him, and he at me, and it was like he telepathically sent me the message:"Am I worth that 6 mile long, 2000 foot down-elevation drag???" Needless to say, he lived another day!

Long in the tooth.... I got that going as well.~Muir

hi AB
just been reading though the website, its an intresting way of licensing and controling number, im gussing it only applies to state owned land and national parks?.
it seems a fair system to, do you get many people abusing it?
I wounder how it would over here, on say FC area, or crown land maybe.

many thanks
simon

Great animal, well done.

Just checked ammo & gear...we'll be out in a few hours.
Hope the weather calms down a bit, this morning the crows were flying backwards past the house.
edi

hi AB
just been reading though the website, its an intresting way of licensing and controling number, im gussing it only applies to state owned land and national parks?.
it seems a fair system to, do you get many people abusing it?
I wounder how it would over here, on say FC area, or crown land maybe.

many thanks
simon

I can't speak for Canada but in the US, game laws apply to private land as well. All wild game is the property of the tax payer. Game raised domestically for sport hunting or other purposes and kept confined for that purpose are often exempt. In other words, private land requires the same licensing and permits for hunting wild game.~Muir

Back