Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mod coming loose

Mod coming loose

I bought a lightweight roedale titanium mod which I love but - after a few (2,3..)shots it comes loose and affects the point of impact. On a target one can, of course tighten it up but that means a position change and, of course would be no good on a herd of hinds/calves.
    I never had the problem with PES or T8s.
    Someone suggested using PTFE tape, anyone tried that or any other ideas?

Sounds to me that it may just be incompatable threads? Are you sure that the thread on the rifle matchs the thread on the moderator properly. Is it a factory cut thread on the rifle or has the thread been cut by a "gunsmith"?
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Mmm..factory cut on a new sako 85 stainless 6.5x55 so I assumed would be OK.

Use a small amount of copper grease on the threads then tighten it up, assuming everything else is ok this should do the trick.

I say copper grease but any good quality grease should work.
    Last edited by dlz90; 02-11-2013 at 11:22.

Thats the trouble sometimes a smith can cut a perfect say.... m14x1 thread and when he gets you a mod in from importers
    Some of the threads in the mods are never perfect.

Have you cleaned the thread on rifle and mod ? Because sometimes this can make the mod come loose easy.
    I wouldnt want to use the pte tape myself. You shouldnt have to.

When you thread the mod on the rifle half way is there alot of play in the tread

Quote Originally Posted by NickJ View Post
    Mmm..factory cut on a new sako 85 stainless 6.5x55 so I assumed would be OK.
    I would say that the fault probably lies with the moderator then. I have a Sako 85 with the same thread and I don't have any problems with mine and my mod of another make.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I`d bet the mod thread has not be cut correctly or its been crossed at some point , get a gunsmith to get his thread gauges on your barrel to confirm that .

As I have said before why do the people threading these items use the proper gauges?

Thanks everyone, I'll try all of the above and report back.

Try a thin 'O' ring which is a tight fit over the threads. This should nestle on the shoulder at the base of the screwcutting. Put the mod on and off a few times, each time tightening it down hard. This should form a tight, very thin cushion which prevents the moderator working loose. I have done this with mine and zero never shifts.