Fridge as a chiller?

Nautilus21

Hi All

Just want to canvas opinion

Ive been offered a tall fridge 150x60x60 that I reckon will be ok as a chiller

I only shoot deer occassionally for myself (approx 1 month on average) and fancied getting something so that you dont have the late night rush and was wondering whether people thought it would be sutiable - I reckon I should get 2 roe or a fallow at a squeeze - what do you reckon?

Cheers

M

I converted an old drinks chiller. Rang the makers and they reckomended not drilling at all. So instead i made a frame on the inside, with the base on a bit of wood that covered the whole of the inside base, to spread the weight. Have hada lot of weight on frame, and so far so good. Any thing is better than nothing in these warm times!!

Nautilus21 said:
Hi All

Just want to canvas opinion

Ive been offered a tall fridge 150x60x60 that I reckon will be ok as a chiller

I only shoot deer occassionally for myself (approx 1 month on average) and fancied getting something so that you dont have the late night rush and was wondering whether people thought it would be sutiable - I reckon I should get 2 roe or a fallow at a squeeze - what do you reckon?

Cheers

M

Domestic fridges are ok as long as you only use them for very short periods and when not in use leave the door open. As they suffer from moisture build up due to lack of air circulation which caused carcass deterioration and mould formations to flourish.

Dave G

Thanks I think...mould flourishing eeewwww - does this not happpen with your daily food then? - If I left it on all the time would this be better?

What Im thinking is - shoot the beast - gralloch - in the firidge for maybe upto a week - giving time to hang/ tenderise / and find time to butcher etc.. up till now its been late nights butchering or straight to the game dealer!

Back