bisley

swarovski

Went to bisley again today, tried my 6.5 06 loads out at 1000yds,considering the strong wind they shot like a dream,better than I hoped,shame I couldn't dope the wind to go with it,elevation was superb shot to shot, used my 308 aswell which i was using 175gr smks which I had 14 and a quarter moa dialled in,not the best conditions for 1000yds shooting but enjoyed every shot :D

We were there too on Century, when the gusts peaked at around 25mph our tiny 62gr 5.56 needed over 6ft of windage and that was only at 500yds

You must of been doing the csr, I came down and watched after lunch, my mate was shooting,went down in the butts aswell, my mate had 10 wash at 500yds prone with I think was 77 grainers.wind was shootable at 1000yds but it was easy to be 9 inches ish out with slight wind speed change.

I managed a respectable 2nd at 1000yds, decent result seeing it was first time out with 6.5 06 and ammo,zero loads were good but still felt a tad hot so I reduced by 0.5grs, never got to retest,judging by zeroing with rear sand bag there wasnt alot wrong with the ammo :cool:! Shame the wind was so bloody strong, was a good test for rifle, ammo and me, I just got to get use to judging wind for my new toy, shot my 308 decent too :D, already looking forwwrd to my next visit

This is a genuine question because I do not know the answer and cannot find it in my reference books.

Can .308 Win be considered the same as 7.62 NATO for TR purposes at Bisley?

Not sure what the difference is apart from one is metric and one is imperial, 7.62 may have longer throat possibly, muir may have the knowledge to answer this one.

I believe 7.62 and .308 are dimensionally identical however the mil spec 7.62 is a higher max pressure. But don't quote me on it.

Swaro, I am sorry. Seem to have hijacked your thread. If only you hadn't mentioned your .308 shoot!

Rob, you have put your finger on the essence of my question.

7.62 NATO and .308 Win are most certainly not dimensionally identical.

However, many shooters around the world do not differentiate between the rounds (probably not reloaders).

But my question stands - do Bisley (NRA) accept both on the same firing point in the same competition.

I believe 7.62 and .308 are dimensionally identical however the mil spec 7.62 is a higher max pressure. But don't quote me on it.

Last edited:
Having measured bothe 7.62 and .308 there is bugger all difference, the Bisley 7.62 ammunition is the same as its .308, its just put in different boxes!! You can use .308 in 7.62 but not the other way around due to pressures relating to ex-mil ammunition that was made for GPMG's.

And again, I repeat my question.

Do Bisley/NRA differentiate between 7.62 NATO and .308 Winchester on the same firing point in the same copmpetition?

​Sheesh!

Having measured bothe 7.62 and .308 there is bugger all difference, the Bisley 7.62 ammunition is the same as its .308, its just put in different boxes!! You can use .308 in 7.62 but not the other way around due to pressures relating to ex-mil ammunition that was made for GPMG's.

Hey, i was there on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd - wind was bad on sunday - had a whole 7 minutes on the rifle at 1000 at one point....

Glad I was shooting a 7mm not a 30 cal...:cool:

We were in lanes 3,4 and 5 sunday morning, top 3/4s of the range was busy at 900yds, I had 2.3 milrads dialled in on 6.5 06, just over 8 moa, not too much diff in windage then mate, what elevation did you have in.?

Yes, I was part of the main group using Stickledown on friday to sunday.

F Class European Championships

Elevation at 900 was 18 moa, getting sub half MOA verticals at that and 1000 with my loads.

Windage was slightly worse.......:rofl:

6.5 06 was shooting about half moa elevation no probs using my fingers under the buttend :norty:, I shortened my br pod so its real low to the ground, spet you were shooting off bags etc

Back