Available: Advice for farmer wishing to cull deer please

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnfarmer

Please could you advise the best way of culling some deer on our farm. How does offering the stalking work - we pay stalker/ stalker pays us / stalking in exchange for meat / other arrangement?

Small groups of deer are frequently seen on the farm & we would like the numbers reducing - any advice would be appreciated as to how this could be arranged.

Hi John,

To reduce the amount of messages you are bound to receive, if you tell us where abouts you are in the country, that would probably rule out many. And so hopefully you will get someone local to come come and help.
All the best

First off. what you are talking about is pest control. If the deer are that big a problem then you want someone who can do the job properly, not someone who is willing to pay the most.

Will be interested to find out if this turns into another money making exercise.

You will need to provide more information so that folk on the site can determine if they can help out or not.

I think people should perhaps take care if replying to this request.
​If something seems too good to be true it probably is.

Richard

Give him a fair chance , i no farmers who ask similar questions , and then get the first person in who in somecases is not the best , ie greedy shoot everything they see regardless of in or out season , thats why theyve no permision ! Its a fact 'cause ive seen it , so johnfarmer , dont be hasty letting anyone with a rifle on , i trade deer stalking for mole control etc , no money changes hands and everyne benefits , but you need to give a lcation as had been said , i am sure you will get sorted and good advise here , perhaps it could be a good place to mentore a newbe so some good is available for a few and not the greedy !

Please could you advise the best way of culling some deer on our farm. How does offering the stalking work - we pay stalker/ stalker pays us / stalking in exchange for meat / other arrangement?

Small groups of deer are frequently seen on the farm & we would like the numbers reducing - any advice would be appreciated as to how this could be arranged.

Wow get ready for the barrage of people beating on your door
Regards
Jimmy

Arron, that's not a bad idea depending on the nature of the land/location etc. If our farmer needs the deer controlling and would be happy for part of the deal to be the lands use for helping newcomers it could be good.
So please johnfarmer, where are you? PM if you'd rather not put it on an open forum.

I did look at the two posts he has made and didn't see anything resembling an introduction but I didn't check which sections they had been put in!

Like I said in the right section under introductions so no site rules have been broken. This may well be a perfectly legitimate request, and probably is, so lets not have the kangaroo court in session please.

Hi
seeing no one yet has attempted to answer you question I will try to offer my opinion.
you own the rights to cull the deer on your land,you can do this in a number of ways
1.lease the rights to someone who knows what there doing and who is qualified with level 1 and level 2 deer managment asking for this will weed out those who couldn't be bothered to take the time and the costs to pass this qualification.
2.you could sell days shooting to various stalkers but if you don't know what your doing it could end up messy due to idiots turning up not having a clue what to do
3.You could pay a stalker to cull a certain number of beasts until your happy with the numbers.
4.you could allow a qualified stalker to cull the deer with no charge and split the meat value to help cover the stalkers costs.

which ever way you decide make sure your happy with the person you choose as IOam sure your PM box will be busting with all manner of offers from all manner of different people from people who want to just shoot a deer to sporting agents wanting to make a money taking clients out.
feel free to PM me if I can offer you any more advice or opinions

WHY oh why has no one except see it shoot it attempted to give a deacent answer
Fact is we should all be manageing deer
first thing to do is asses needs and wishes of farmer then go from there to work out a cull plan and an arrangement
the main thing to avoid is trophy hunters who will not turn up and cull does or someone who wants to shoot every deer on sight

Good management should come First

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back