members please watch your dogs K9 seasonal illness

goldypurple

over the last weekend my dad lost his cocker dog, it was only 18 months old and was coming on quite well.

we believe it was due to K9 seasonal illness.

My dad had been to one new shoot in Norfolk near Feltwell with the dog, he took two and was last Thursday, dogs were fine, until Saturday, all ok apart from the cocker, he was sick just after his morning walk and was left at home, instead of of going on the shoot, he was left with another dog in the kennel. All other dogs are fine.

My dad got back form the shoot around 4pm, dog was left at 8.45, between those times the cocker had died.

So people please keep an eye on your dogs.

Spoke to the vet, and the vet said it had all symptoms of this K9 seasonal illness, we were advised to disinfect all sleeping areas, all other dogs are ok.

Excuse my ignorance of this but can anybody explain what seasonal illness is?
My thoughts are that a dog needs to pick something up to become ill and die, a virus eg parvo, distemper etc, or a poison, toxin of some sort eg pesticides, weed killer or blue/green algae etc.
Or is it just a case of unknown so call it seasonal illness to cover all aspects?
Is it to do with the weather? or particular areas (geographical) or geological eg pine woods?
Wingy

We had 4/4 dogs on our shoot come down with it a couple of weeks ago but luckily they have all recovered after a stay at the vets on drips.
Latest thinking is that it is caused by harvest mites, we are now suggesting leaving the dogs at home until there has been a couple of frosts.

Pointblank, where in Suffolk was this? it may be possible that other dogs may of transported it to the shoot that may of been in an infected area, if you get what i mean

One of my GWP's got this last year - luckily she pulled through after spending time at the vets. She went from being perfectly ok to having no energy and being sick really quickly and if I hadn't got her to the vet that day they reckon she wouldn't have made it through.

I live in Notts and a few of the woods round here seem to be known as 'hot spots' for it so this time of year I walk my dogs in places that have never had it reported there.

It's too cold and we are out of season for harvest mites.

Would have been a bloody good idea to do a proper PM on the dog and see if anything else going on.

nothing is dying off round here as no frosts, bugs, illnesses and insects are still thrieving, we did asked the vet about a PM but they werent really interested and couldnt fit one in for a few days, they also said there was no guarantee anything would show up, so was decided against.

nothing is dying off round here as no frosts, bugs, illnesses and insects are still thrieving, we did asked the vet about a PM but they werent really interested and couldnt fit one in for a few days, they also said there was no guarantee anything would show up, so was decided against.

As Apatchy said a "proper" postmortem. Unfortunately that depends on how much you want to pay. I recently had a thyroid test don on one of my dogs. I was given the option of various levels of test ranging form "quick look" probably won't find anything £50. More indepth could still be inconclusive about £150
Or full test £300.

Back