110gn .308 spire points

Offroad Gary

just been given some, any reports on accuracy, knockdown ability, meat damage?

loaded 3 of each 48, 48.5, 49 gn h4895 as a test batch out of my .308 R93.

looking to use them on roe does and muntys.

:evil:

bucksden said:
just been given some, any reports on accuracy, knockdown ability, meat damage?

loaded 3 of each 48, 48.5, 49 gn h4895 as a test batch out of my .308 R93.

looking to use them on roe does and muntys.

:evil:

Never hear of them Gary, but curions as to the Velocity of them, might cause excessive meat damage?

TJ

My father has used them in his 270 for ages - as long as i've known him to own the rifle. I had a quick telephone discussion with him -as i understand it, it's an old 'stable' bullet that Hornady have offered for decades and is a very popular choice in the states. He likens the performance similar to that of the federal Classics.

It's of the soft nosed variety intended for deeper penetration than some of the newer offerings like their SSTs so i'd be interested to find out what degree of meat damage you get pushing the 110gr out of a 308.

loaded up 20 of them the other day and took rifle for a quick zero check on my range (cardboard box in field), set at 165 yards. shot 3 of my 125 b tips to check zero prior to hunt yesterday and shot a 1.1" group. then immediately shot 3 110's which gave a 1.3" group 1" to the left, so i clicked right 2 clicks and went to pack my stuff.

the cull stalk yesterday morning saw a huge munty (couldnt see head which was obscured by powerpole), a young roe (difficult to sex), a fox, the orphan brother of the calf that was shot last time (not sure what happened to the mother but the calf that was shot last time got lucky, his brother ended up rotting on a track, starvation?), and old roebuck (being saved for the summer) and finally an old roe doe in woodland.

the sticks went up, i mounted the R93 and could i see her - nowhere.. looking again, nowhere, and again - there she was, broadside.

the 110 grain struck home exactly where i wanted it, missing the shoulder, through the lungs, she ran less than 10 yards.

some hair and a small piece of flesh at the site of the strike, no blood. inspection revealed a nice 1" exit which hade destroyed the lungs on the way through, with a furher 1 1/2" bruising around the exit, a very acceptable level of damage. she weighed 35 lbs in the larder, was blind in one eye and the shot was about 140 yards, which i was very pleased with.

later on we took the chrony to the range and tested the ammo at the target end, the strike on the deer was probably at about 2600 fps which concurs with the ballistic calculator figures.

initial findings are less brutal than the 125 b tips, but i need to try a few more soon. :D

Back