monocular or ?

Hotdog

Hi guys need some help, choosing a monocular, I have only one eye, and seems a waste of money buying a pair a binoculars.
I have been looking at monoculars leica 8x20 or zeiss 10x25 T, or even the Swarovski range finder 8x30.
But not too sure if these would be any good at low light.
Beauty of a small monocular is the compact size.
If anyone could give me any feedback on any of these, it would be helpful.
The other option is to buy a some binoculars and let the Mrs use them from time to time when out with me, but seems a cumbersome item I can do without.
My telescope which is a 30x75 is okay, starting to drive me crazy as its all right for scanning the land, hence its time to choose something smaller to hang around the neck.
So guys what is the way forward? :confused:

I'd go for the Swarovski 8x30 laser range finder. The objective lens is just big enough to provide a useful performance and the quality of the optics will go some way towards improving the low light performance.

I'd go for the Swarovski 8x30 laser range finder. The objective lens is just big enough to provide a useful performance and the quality of the optics will go some way towards improving the low light performance.

very true i own the 8x30 swarovski mono range finder and its a great bit of kit and good at low light, the reason i use it is my left eye aint the best and i find it better to use a mono with my right eye along with my scope on my right eye aswell

Think that may be the way forward the Swarovski 8x30 laser range finder just trying to find a second hand one if pos £700 is a little hard to swallow.

Hotdog, if you are localish in devon i have a swaro rangefinder monocular you could have a go on, as dusk in the woods is the best time to try. Yhey are very good

Think that may be the way forward the Swarovski 8x30 laser range finder just trying to find a second hand one if pos £700 is a little hard to swallow.

This has been my solution. Blind left eye also. 8x30 ain't bad, but it will fail long before a quality 50mm scope.

Hotdog, if you are localish in devon i have a swaro rangefinder monocular you could have a go on, as dusk in the woods is the best time to try. Yhey are very good

Thanks very kind of you but i am in Somerset but will take your words for it wish to sale any one £400 waiting

I`ve got a leupold rangefinder that has good optics, and it quite a bit cheaper than a swaro or similar.I use it a fair bit as a monocular.Might be an option.Mines the rx4 which was about 400 quid when i bought it but the rx 2 and 3 are good units without the drop calculator for a bit less.

Going back to the monocular option if I was going for a 40-50mm which ones are the best to go for

I have compared mine side by side at dusk i have the 8x30 swaro rangefinder and el 8.5 x42 swaro bins and there really isnt a great deal of diffrence. Ithink your going to be real hard pushed to beat the 8x30 swaro monocular

Opticron make a couple of 8x42 monoculars that look the part, right specifications etc., - have considered it but never had a chance to try one in the flesh.
From the web they seem to be available in UK.

​Alasdair.

Yes will be looking at them down the local London camera exchange towards the end of the week
But still like the sound of the swaro just the price :eek:

Opticron make a couple of 8x42 monoculars that look the part, right specifications etc., - have considered it but never had a chance to try one in the flesh.
From the web they seem to be available in UK.

​Alasdair.

Back