Nissan Navara Engine Chip

Willie

I have a Nissan Navara 2012 and was thinking of buying an engine chip to improve the mpg. I currently get about 32mpg (quite light footed) and was wondering if any SD members had any experience of these and could advise me which system was best and approximate price.

Thanks Willie

Wllie don't bother with a chip have the engine management system remapped. I had my td5 done and it has made a world of dirfence to it.
I used Dynachip he comes out to you and sorts it out I dont know what he charges for a nissan but it was only £230 for mine . Ihave probably saved that in fuel since doing it and the power is far better no lag at all. Remember to notify your insurance it hardly made any difrence to mine.
Dynachip profesional ecu remapping

Last edited:
Wllie don't bother with a chip have the engine management system remapped. I had my td5 done and it has made a world of dirfence to it.
I used Dynachip he comes out to you and sorts it out I dont know what he charges for a nissan but it was only £230 for mine . Ihave probably saved that in fuel since doing it and the power is far better no lag at all. Remember to notify your insurance it hardly made any difrence to mine.
Dynachip profesional ecu remapping

Do tell us more. More power? What difference in mpg are you getting?

A chip or a generic remap, why do either when for the same sort of money you
have a proper custom map done on a Dyno ?
I have done all 3 over the years, the chip or an add on are a at best a serious compromise.
The last diesel I had was the smart car, an add on controller just caused black smoke along with a little more go.
The fuel consumption stayed the same unless you drove it hard, then it was terrible.
Next I had a so called remap, cost me around £225 quid, this was better, more power more torque and better fuel economy.
Then winter came on, the fuel consumption around town dropped to about 45mpg, from a summer high of 60mpg for the same journeys.
So I bit the bullet and had a proper job done, the before dyno run revealed the so called remap had boosted power from a factory 44hp
to 53hp, which apparently is about normal, I just had a better power curve. After the re-map and after half a dozen dyno runs I had a test
run on the road, the difference was staggering, but plenty of black smoke. Bach for a another fiddle and few more dyno runs.
I ended up with 70.88 hp and plenty more torque, fuel consumption improved considerable, the big difference from summer to winter
all but disappeared, best motorway run at a steady 75 gave well over 80mpg, around town average was 65mpg with an easy 70mpg for mixed
driving. I would never again settle for a chip, tunning box or generic remap, custom all the way for me, mind you it was the most expensive option
at £250 all in, the only thing more expensive was the tune it box that was rubbish.

After custom remap.

Before remap.

Neil. :)

A chip or a generic remap, why do either when for the same sort of money you
have a proper custom map done on a Dyno ?
I have done all 3 over the years, the chip or an add on are a at best a serious compromise.
The last diesel I had was the smart car, an add on controller just caused black smoke along with a little more go.
The fuel consumption stayed the same unless you drove it hard, then it was terrible.
Next I had a so called remap, cost me around £225 quid, this was better, more power more torque and better fuel economy.
Then winter came on, the fuel consumption around town dropped to about 45mpg, from a summer high of 60mpg for the same journeys.
So I bit the bullet and had a proper job done, the before dyno run revealed the so called remap had boosted power from a factory 44hp
to 53hp, which apparently is about normal, I just had a better power curve. After the re-map and after half a dozen dyno runs I had a test
run on the road, the difference was staggering, but plenty of black smoke. Bach for a another fiddle and few more dyno runs.
I ended up with 70.88 hp and plenty more torque, fuel consumption improved considerable, the big difference from summer to winter
all but disappeared, best motorway run at a steady 75 gave well over 80mpg, around town average was 65mpg with an easy 70mpg for mixed
driving. I would never again settle for a chip, tunning box or generic remap, custom all the way for me, mind you it was the most expensive option
at £250 all in, the only thing more expensive was the tune it box that was rubbish.

After custom remap.

Before remap.

So by the time you had gone to the time, trouble and expense to do all this did you ever recoup the cost on fuel saved? and did it invalidate your manufacturers warranty?
atb Tim

Do tell us more. More power? What difference in mpg are you getting?

Singing Stalker This is the best thing I have done to my TD5. I was averaging 24/26 MPG I now average 29/31 and have had 35 on a run. The power is notably more and towing is effortless now. I should add my disco is a manual. You wont be disappointed if your thinking about it.
​Google dynachip reviews it speaks for its self.

Everything you will ever need to know can be found here http://www.nissan-navara.net/viewforum.php?f=9 if it is not there already just ask and someone will know. The general consensus is a DTE PDI tuning box, its pretty much plug and play. The reason I have play in bold is most people put it on and discover the extra power so use the extra power for acceleration then complain the box is not giving them extra MPG. If you keep with your light foot, which you must have to be getting 32MPG (I get aprox. 28MPG in my 2006), you should see a good increase in MPG.

So by the time you had gone to the time, trouble and expense to do all this did you ever recoup the cost on fuel saved? and did it invalidate your manufacturers warranty?
atb Tim

Probably not on the fuel saved, and that would go for any of the chip, tune it boxes etc.
But what I did get out of it was a car that was a pleasure to drive, that always had enough get up and go, and more
​ importantly it made motorway driving a lot safer and less stressful.
Not to mention the fun factor :D
As for warrenty, it had already run out, but what I can say is the Smart/Mercedes test equipment could not "see" the modifications.

Gents.
Please excuse my ignorance and what may be silly questions.
If a remap gives better mpg and better performance i presume this does not affect the exhaust emissions which could lead to problems come the MOT?
If the above is true then why did the Vehicle Manufacturer not map the ECU like this in the first place? If a remap offers a win win situation why did the Manufacturer effectively give you an Engine that burns more Fuel and gives less Power?
Thanks.
Yorkie.

Gents.
Please excuse my ignorance and what may be silly questions.
If a remap gives better mpg and better performance i presume this does not affect the exhaust emissions which could lead to problems come the MOT?
If the above is true then why did the Vehicle Manufacturer not map the ECU like this in the first place? If a remap offers a win win situation why did the Manufacturer effectively give you an Engine that burns more Fuel and gives less Power?
Thanks.
Yorkie.

Firstly, a big +1 to Dynachip, as recomended by others on this forum. Had my Disco TD5 remapped by Dynachip, and it was one of the best £200 I've ever spent. It's like a different vehicle.
To answer your Q, Yorkie, yes it'll still pass emissions tests in UK. Problem is, new vehicles are effectively "de-tuned" to get them through an extremely stringent emissions test based on the assumption that the engine will be pulling in foul air in smoggy center of New York. Our UK air is a lot cleaner than that, so emissions are cleaner too.
At least, that's the way I understand it!

Thanks lads for all the advice, Dynachip seems to get a good write up. If I get a Dynachip remap will it affect my warranty or will I be able to remove and reset the remap when it requires a service?

Be warned it can affect your warranty and more so your insurance.
Insurance companies are now checking ECU's to see if they have been re-mapped. Make sure you tell them

Firstly, a big +1 to Dynachip, as recomended by others on this forum. Had my Disco TD5 remapped by Dynachip, and it was one of the best £200 I've ever spent. It's like a different vehicle.
To answer your Q, Yorkie, yes it'll still pass emissions tests in UK. Problem is, new vehicles are effectively "de-tuned" to get them through an extremely stringent emissions test based on the assumption that the engine will be pulling in foul air in smoggy center of New York. Our UK air is a lot cleaner than that, so emissions are cleaner too.
At least, that's the way I understand it!

Hi VSS.
Thanks for the answer. Makes you think though why it is beyond a Manufacturer to supply a Vehicle correctly Mapped for the UK or even the supplying Dealer to do it before Delivery?

Yorkie.

Back