Has anyone here tried the Haenel Jaeger 10?

Tartan_Terrier

Has anyone here on the forum had any experience with the Haenel Jaeger 10 rifle? I've seen quite a few of them on sale recently, often at quite decent prices, but I haven't heard much about them at all.

I presume they are of decent quality, being made by Suhl? Any opinions of them?

Cheers
​T_T

Sorry but until you posted this I had not heard of this rifle. First thought it was an air rifle as haenal have always been into that market and in fact I own an old Model 303 Haenel.

​Haenel were always traditional gun makers until the wall came down they were quite restricted being on the "wrong" side of the wall.

Has anyone here on the forum had any experience with the Haenel Jaeger 10 rifle? I've seen quite a few of them on sale recently, often at quite decent prices, but I haven't heard much about them at all.

I presume they are of decent quality, being made by Suhl? Any opinions of them?

Cheers
​T_T

The reason you haven't heard of them is that it's not a widely known name in this country and that's simply because other brands are well known due to marketing effort by GMK and so on.

I handled one at Viking Arms yesterday. It is clearly a high quality rifle. The barrel and action had a smooth matt finish, similar to a Parkerized finish. The six lug bolt felt nice and slick, the trigger crisp and clean. The iron sights have a relatively short radius (the rifle in question may be a Battue version). The stock was made from plain wood (on the example I saw). In general, a nice piece of kit, of equal quality to Sako, Mauser and so on. I'm told that they are made by Merkel. RRP would be in the order £1500 which is favourable to a Sako 85 or similar. I'd certainly consider one if I was looking for a sporting rifle.

The rifle I handled had been out for review so an article should appear in the shooting press shortly. I suggested to Viking Arms that they take the rifle to BDS range days and similar for people to try out. It's something they are considering.

-JMS

Has anybody seen or tried this rifle after this thread was started? I think it looks really really good and should be German quality. I just cant get it right that the price for it is cheaper than a Tikka T3 hunter and Browning X-bolt just to name a few.

It really looks more expansive than it is.

I noted that they exhibited alongside Merkel at Jagd & Hund in Dortmund last week.

I was researching express rifles and theirs looked basic.

Stan

I handled several models today.
Fantastic open sights, very smooth action, very well balanced, great fit and finish.
Very very impressed. Very high quality and cheap.
In my opinion a real bargain.

I like single shot rifles, better still if a break action, price is very good for the model 9 as well.
So there was me all excited and thinking about a variation, until I spotted the big NO NO
Dural receiver, so just a cheaper version the Blaser, although on the up side not tied to a blaser scope mount.
Not for me then, I hate aluminium for most things, and definitely not for anything trying to contain the pressure of a rifle round.

Neil. :)

Hi !
I bought a Haenel Jaeger 10 in .308 cal 2 years ago and I am very pleased with it. Use it as my main hunting rifle now.
It is lightweight and very very accurate. Have a Zeiss scope on it (2-10x50). Very good value for the money and rugged enough to carry around in the woods and throw it in the back of the 4x4. I mainly use it on roedeer and wild boar. It likes the Norma Alaskans i use in it (haven't tried much other brands of ammo). I never shoot beyond 250 meters, don't have to, so i cannot say anything about performance beyond that distance, but up to 250 meters is performs perfectly. You can spend much more money on a gun but you will only get nicer wood, better finish and gadgets like a barrel you can switch. It's basic German quality at a rock bottom price. Nothing fancy but it performs very well. The only remarks i have is the safety that could be a bit smoother (and make less noise) and the stecher (don't know the word in english) which is way too sensitive to be of any real use, except on the range (and even then). The trigger itself is clean and crisp, one of the best i have on a hunting rifle. If you want to know more, just ask. Cheers and good hunting !

Hi ! I bought one 2 years ago in .308 Win and i am very pleased with it ! I have put a Zeiss 2-10 x 50 scope on it and the combination works perfectly. The rifle itself is lightweight and rugged. It's German quality and very very accurate. I mainly use Norma Alaskans in it. I use it on roedeer and wild boar on distances up to 250 meters. The barrel is free floating, the action is smooth and the trigger is very crisp. The best one i have ! There is also a stecher on it (don't know the word in English - set trigger ?) which is way too sensitive for hunting purposes. I would have liked a smoother and more substantial safetyknob, but it works and i suppose they had to compromise somewhere to be able to sell it at that price. Overall a lightweight accurate quality rifle and since i have it, the others haven't been out of the gunsafe ! oh yes and there is a battue rib on it, so if you take off the scope, you can use it for driven hunts as well if you prefer to use the normal sights for that. I like it very much :) I was told the Haenel Jager 10 is basically a cheaper Merkel...

Back