Thread: Best deer tracking dog?

Question Best deer tracking dog?

hey guys,
    looking for a new pup to train for deer tracking and blood trailing.
    can anyone recommend the best tracking dog for me please.
    i havent long being hunting/stalking deer my self only in the last few years but as im learning to shoot the dads rifles and hoping to one day get a shot of a deer one day myself ide rather have a dog with me as it would be my (first) deer.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Get a Lab. Train it to deer first. Then birds later if you want to.
    There are some people out there who have Lab lines that are very good on deer but I don't know who they are.
    The above advice was not given to me and I ended up with a Teckel AKA very sweet dog with a good nose but as thick as two short planks and can be a stubborn little ba$tard otherwise known as Dexter
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

One of my Chesapeakes can nearly retrieve a fair sized roe and heaven forgive the day i mess a shot he can bring them down and hold. Doesnt bark but hasnt failed yet to find either. "steady", not really but a true hunter in every way. His brother can get on a tree stmp and spot deer 500y away that i cant see with binos... Quite great to see.

Teyhan's advice is sound; get a steady lab from known working strains. A lab will get the job done without fuss. A more specialized or 'exotic' breed may well excel at one or two particular jobs, but it usually requires specific training or character considerations. You need a dog which will accompany you, track when encouraged to and get you on the deer with the minimum of hassle. A lab is quick enough for most. My father has a young lab that he got from one of the Buccleur gamekeeper. Amazing dog that even seems to understand my father's continual swearing and hollering.

i too have Chesapeakes and they are definitely not the best suited deer stalking dogs. They are big, powerful and the wildflowers no1 choice but there are more than a few other breeds better suited to stalking.