243 Powder advice

Rotwild

Hello chaps, getting a lot of gas coming back past the case using N160 and 100gr interlocks even at maximum load so I think the powder is a little slow, is there go to powder for 100gr 243 bullets, not got the problem with 55gr bullets and Varget,

​Cheers

Last edited:
Hello chaps, getting a lot of gas coming back past the case using N160 and 100gr interlocks even at maximum load so I think the powder is a little slow, i

not sure this is just an indication of low powder speed to be honest
N160 pushing 100gr should easily create enough pressure to seal a case neck

I have always used Reloader 19, never had a problem, but once i have used it i might use (never tried) IMR 4350 as thats what i use in my 30-06

After hours of research and 10 mins on quickload I've come up with H4831 to give the best results in theory. Using a Tikka T3 Lite 20'' 1/10 twist barrel that is.

Hello chaps, getting a lot of gas coming back past the case using N160 and 100gr interlocks even at maximum load so I think the powder is a little slow, is there go to powder for 100gr 243 bullets, not gain the problem with 55gr bullets and Varget,

​Cheers

I use H4895 for both 70 and 100 grain and so do a few people I shoot with. Seems to be ok.

I use H4831sc and H414 not had any issue yet. At the moment i'm working on loads using Superformance powder, not a lot of 243 data available for this powder so its a slow process.

Al

Hello chaps, getting a lot of gas coming back past the case using N160 and 100gr interlocks even at maximum load so I think the powder is a little slow, is there go to powder for 100gr 243 bullets, not gain the problem with 55gr bullets and Varget,

​Cheers
is your brass over worked as 160 is a great powder for the heavier bullets if you use varget you wont get anywhere near the same case volume its far to fast,if your struggling pop it round I will have a look at it for you

is your brass over worked as 160 is a great powder for the heavier bullets if you use varget you wont get anywhere near the same case volume its far to fast,if your struggling pop it round I will have a look at it for you

Been watching this thread as it resembles some of problems i get too.
What do u mean by brass over worked? I too get very sooty necks when using n160. Still get pretty good groups with 100grners but not as tight a group as my 95grn i use.

using new lapua but seems to be a little better when worked up the same load with old winchester brass! maybe the winchester brass is softer and sealing better!

Sorry mate, 100 gr hornady interlocks BTSP

thanks for that which has just told be your running way under pressure hence why the case isn't sealing on the chamber wall,Ive just ran your numbers on quickload at the moment you have a chamber pressure of 3309 bar.
stick 44gr in and see the difference

According to the Vit 2012 manual, 39.8gr is the max load for N160 using 100gr Speer Grand slam.
I use 44gr of N160 with 87gr Vmax and the max load quoted is 43.8 for 85gr Nosler Partition. This gives 3100FPS.
I got a stiff bolt at 47.6gr from memory.
Do you have velocity data?
Are you getting any pressure signs?

thanks for that which has just told be your running way under pressure hence why the case isn't sealing on the chamber wall,Ive just ran your numbers on quickload at the moment you have a chamber pressure of 3309 bar.
stick 44gr in and see the difference
Thank you for putting my data into quick load, appreciated. I did try 43 grains but I found signs of pressure on the primers and got gases still passing past the case, i'll Look into trying a different powder, cheers.

Back