270 non-lead factory ammo

The problem is that some people are going to make the decision that this must be used. This is why I am wanting to know the performance of non-lead ammo that people are using.

The problem is that some people are going to make the decision that this must be used. This is why I am wanting to know the performance of non-lead ammo that people are using.

Sorry cannot help but it's just another way of banning shootign by the back door.

Cheers. Time will tell who's right

It's only a matter of time FCS, NT, RSPB to start, influential and likely to be followed by the other FC eng and Wales given the likely pressure, and then the other conservation organisations, and with the evidence mounting, then the trading standards and meat supply will follow fairly swiftly, can't see it any other way. So unless you eat all you shoot be prepared.

You seem to be in the know ok nic how would they police this,the only way they could enforce it is get rid of all lead bullets and you can only buy non lead and that's going to take some doing :stir:

:scared:It will make things interesting for those clint east... sorry I mean humane dispatch pistol users who apparently 'have' to use their pistol to follow up and kill a wounded deer!..... solid copper bullets at those speeds in close proximity to perhaps hard ground and trees etc.. TAKE COVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:scared:It will make things interesting for those clint east... sorry I mean humane dispatch pistol users who apparently 'have' to use their pistol to follow up and kill a wounded deer!..... solid copper bullets at those speeds in close proximity to perhaps hard ground and trees etc.. TAKE COVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The pistoleros will have to go back to using a big spanner to dispatch their mortally wounded quarry.

Let's not go off op original question here we go again. out of interest what's the cost of 243 and more importantly 270 lead free bullets :-|

I have never looked at the costs of these non lead bullets as I can see all sort of issues with them that I was not interested in getting involved with. As for how will they manage this ban well about asw ell as the non expanding fiasco .......................... very poorly.

​Of course facts have never mattered to these people

Due to the afore mentioned non expanding fiasco I made up a form tool to form the nose profile on Gilding Metal bullets. However we could not come to a mutual agreement with the boss to allow a run on the old Peg board auto so that's as far as that project got.. The bullets would have been in 0.458" for my P-H 1100 M.

The cost won't affect homeloaders as much as those who buy factory ammo. The other issue is the availability of the factory ammo along with the whole change that many shooters are going to have to go through when they cant get factory ammo to shoot as accurately in their rifle or the fact they will have to use what ever bullet weight the factory fodder comes in.
I am under the impression from what ive read that the copper bullets have to be lighter and pushed a bit faster to make sure of sufficient expansion...hence why norma do the 110 grain barnes in their factory stuff at £50 a box. This comes to the next issue..... at the stupidly high price of the factory stuff, Who is gonna be prepared to practise their shooting skills as often using that same rifle bullet combo ( remember all about consistency)??
Can supply keep up with demand????... what happens when a distributor cant get led free stuff into the country through whatever issues??? do we stop shooting until we get some?....

just a thought.

A friends using the 110gr barnes (home loads) in his .270 xbolt. He is quite happy with it, less meat damage and hasn't noticed any difference in the time taken to drop in comparison to lead 130gr.

As for pistol shooters.......we will just switch to non toxic frangible.

Who said lead bullets are getting banned? What issues can you see Brit? Have you tried the copper bullets? Can we'd get answers to the OP's question

​Al

I was out with a Ranger yesterday and he was using non lead bullets. He says he has had a few runners more than norm and puts it down to how these expand. I did laugh and suggest it was him and not the bullets as they had been test and better tested on Ballistic gel etc.
I cant write his answer on here but he did say in his own words that a deer was not a lump of BJ

It's only a matter of time FCS, NT, RSPB to start, influential and likely to be followed by the other FC eng and Wales given the likely pressure, and then the other conservation organisations, and with the evidence mounting, then the trading standards and meat supply will follow fairly swiftly, can't see it any other way. So unless you eat all you shoot be prepared.

The FC in Wales were transferred to Natural Resources Wales last April.

I was under the impression than the laws under which measures that may be taken to ensure humane dispatch of injured deer allowed the use of pretty much anything as long as it does not cause undu suffering: wherefore lead pistol bullet is lawful, just as a charge of 6s from a .410 is lawful.

Back