Well done to the local police

johndeere

Don’t wish to say any more at this time but can anyone recommend a good cctv system
For the home?
I would like to install a wireless system if i can are they any good anyone point me in the right direction ?
Scum sat in sells as i type. jd

Glad you're ok to ask the question!

Best bet is to speak to a couple of local "high risk" businesses on Monday morning and see who they use...

Have a look on amazon for a wireless Internet CCTV system. Not overly expensive, simple to set up, and you can set them up so when an 'activation' is detected (movement by something greater than the sensitivity you set it too so it only picks up people, sorry thieving scum, up instead of every twig movement) to send you a text message so you can see what's going on via the interweb.

Want a laugh ? The landrover he gave chase in , started first time !!!!

​It just wasnt the scums day ..

What he means is the thief got into and tried to steal the Landrover. They were caught before it made it off the drive!

In all seriousness glad your ok

Have a look

Hi

Ive been looking into this subject for awhile myself.

At work -large construction sites - we have a monitured CCTV system for 24hr security
The system we have installed has some great features such as remote viewing from your smart phone, and a motion alarm on the cameras or the software used.

The system doesn't seem to be anything special in reality just normal store bought CCTV items.

I have spoken to the engineer and he's suggested I can do the same at home for £600 or £800 fully installed :confused::eek:!

Ive just seen an offer at screw fix for a system for £300

Have a read of this thread on an ar15.com American site on home installing CCTV, there are several pages you can go from the link below.

Safes Home Security - AR15.COM

Sorry me again

Ask yourself what you expect to get from the CCTV,

Expercience from work suggests most CCTV especially at night isnt good enough for outright identification of people's face - so no police mugshots and a swift arrest!

It will tell you when, possible how and what someone did on your property, and or alarm you to what's happening if you get a motion alert CCTV system. Message sent to your phone- cheap unit from screwfix on sale currently £75 from swann CCTV -

If you want the contact details of the CCTV engineer we use you are welcome- pm me!

What he means is the thief got into and tried to steal the Landrover. They were caught before it made it off the drive!

In all seriousness glad your ok

Even if they did somehow manage to start it... you could follow the oil trail :D

I have a very sophisticated cctv system, cameras on all four corners of the house, I can zoom in and out, HD recording and night vision mode. It is even capable of streaming live to a smart phone but I can't get it to work on my phone. Just as well really if I was miles away watching some scroat breaking into my house and there's nothing I could do.
The cameras are great for pizza deliveries and watching where the dog poo's at night so I can go pick it up in the morning but probably not much use as a security system other than a deterrent.
I don't think a thief would be stupid enough to look straight at a camera and would probably be wearing a hoody so identification would be virtually impossible. Also the evidence would be rejected by a court as a breach of human rights or something stupid like that.
Like digs said, it will show you when and how.... but not the all important who.

It makes the wife feel safe though, that's the best +point ;)

Last edited:
Thank you to the more sensible members of the site some useful information for me to look into greatly appreciated.
I would agree with the comments made don’t mind spending my hard earned if the system works
And that’s what i was after .
The last comment sums it all up for me
It makes the wife feel safe though, that's the best +point

It makes the wife feel safe though, that's the best +point

Hear hear... I got baseball batted for a car on my own driveway a few years ago. They gone in through a small window, nicked purses, wallet, phones and the keys to my car. 04:15 and all I had on was a pair of boxers, which wasn't ideal! The next afternoon we had a new alarm system installed, and since then (without fail) alarm downstairs at night. Sounds selfish, but we've had our turn, and I want to make us more difficult to turn over than anyone else locally. Not an SGC/FAC stipulation (yet), but I'm not leaving anything to chance, especially with a wife and 3 young kids in the house

Back